Cooling fans and other issues!!!!

satdog75

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Im ridin a '96 Conti Anniversary Edition. Just bought it. 200k on car and 30k on motor/tranny (both new at time of swap). Only paid 1400 for it knowing it needed some work. Didnt realize what I was getting myself into. Thankfully I have a friend who is a Ford Master Mechanic and was recently laid off, so he is down for "cash under the table" for doing work in his own garage with all his own standard tools, air tools, and specialty tools. I'll give a list of what was done so far and what is still needed for input, but here is my dilemma.....

Cooling fans will not shut off. When I bought the car, the seller stated the fan would not come on. I checked the fuses and relays and then noticed the next morning....they will not shut off. Since it is cool in the midwest still, I pulled the 60amp fuse under the hood so the car will warm enough for heat to work. Still never gets past the "N/O" range of "normal" so Im good on that. Any ideas of it. I am guessing the temp sensor is good since temp on dash is working.

Tranny leak by front bumper. From the looks this car has a tranny cooler, so I think that the connection between line and cooler is the culprit (any ideas).

Horn doesnt work. When the steering wheel is pressed, there is a faint sound from under hood like horn is trying but no luck (any ideas).

Now here is what is done thus far...

slight vibration on hiway and slight pop when turning became..
Strut rod bushings, control arm bushings, cv half shafts, ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, and an alignemnt. Oh forgot new tires!!!

headliner needs done....(ill do it when we recover from the record March snowfall)....anything I sould be careful on when pulling out stuff to get headliner out?

Drivers door panel is shot. Hunted my butt off and found one in Kentucky that I am having sent up (35 for panel 60 for shipping)

Door Ajar sensor and lock mechanism for drivers front door (bought them new for less than 20 bucks and will do it this week). Previous idiot had and issue with window track and ran wires through track so it ripped them out first time he rolled down window. Now i just need to rewire them and put them in place.

Window track on drivers side. Found part of track inside door. Put it in place and discovered someone attached window to track with silicone instead of window adheasive like they should have. I'll fix it when I put the remainder of the door together.

Lincoln logo on both front seats torn out (found on floor). I either need to get a seat cover, have them redone, or buy new ones (found good ones online for 125 with 100 shipping for both). Prolly just seat covers for now to save money though.

Car is black with a tan top. Top needs to be redone or at least restiched for now. That I will rig up for now until I either get rest of car done of get mad and sell it off.

As you can see, this is a monster project that has pushed me to my witts end. I cant stand a car that is not cosmetically and mechanically sound. Doesnt have to be perfect but should be able to jump in at any time and trust. I fear this car is not the answer to my needs and will become a huge black hole to throw money into.

A/C didnt work....just low on charge....only thing that has gone right so far.

Luckily the bags were changed to struts, so dont have to worry about that either.

I think that's it. Really its just tough to find parts for these cars. I sold off a 93 Maxima in perfect condition for this car, so I am just highly frustrated with all of it. Please shoot some insight into my issues. (paid 1400 for a car that books at 2800 in good so left a 1400 margin that is getting chewed up fast).

Members online

No members online now.
Back