Continental Air Ride Unlevel

crookshanks

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have just put a new front left strut on my car yesterday with a new height sensor. Now when I drive the car, it will stay level for 10 min. give or take and then the Ride Control light will come on and the left side of the car will lower while the passenger side will stay up. I tried adjusting the plastic control arm attached to the axel and it makes a height difference, but I still get the same problem.

The left side struts are both from strutmasters, while the right I am not sure of but they look OEM.

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

does the compressor come on to try to level when it goes whacky???

right now i am thinking leak on left front.. either strut or selonoid.. did you put new o-rings on?

No, after the ride control light comes on, the system will only level the right side of the car.

I did not replace the solenoid, but I do not hear any air leaking from ethier the front or the back.

I just replaced the air system on my 93 Conti with a Strutmasters coil system. The ride is firmer, but the handling and cornering is improved. Unless one prefers the plush air ride, and money is no object, the coil system is the way to go. I wish I had done it sooner.

If you MUST have the air suspension, contact Strutmasters. My mechanic was impressed with their support system. Their air components are much more of a heavy-duty nature than the factory set-up.

Solution!

Turns out it was the Air Ride Computer in the trunk. Installed a used one today and everything works fine.

One question though, how come my strut from Strutmasters has an Arnott stamp on it?

Maybe they are the same company/supplier etc.? Glad you got it all worked out. Of all things I would not have guessed the computer. That is interesting how that was the problem. I have never heard of the Computer itself causing the trouble. Crazy learn somethin new everyday. How much did it cost??

I bought the computer used so it was only $50.

I am still having a height problem though. It didn't show up until last night. I turn the car off and a few minutes later the compressor comes on and pumps the rear end of the car up really high and won't let it down. My only guess is the rear height sensor.

:I I would say the rear height sensor. They are well known for causing the car to ride to high.

You have to stop throwing parts and money at the problem. Invest in Ford service manuals for the car. They are available used on eBay or new from Helms.

What made you believe the computer is bad?

When the car is level, shut the suspension off via the trunk switch. Drive the car around. If any corner sinks, you have a leak in the strut or spring or the air spring solenoid. This rules out any electronic problems besides a random short, which is rare. If the car pumps up really high and then fails to come down, it could indicate a clogged vent, but since it leveled before with the original height sensor, it could eb the computer. Height sensors rarely go bad, like the computer. Check to see if there is a test lead in the trunk by the air suspension computer, which may be by the switch. It may look like a single loose wire.

Strutmasters doesn't really make anything. They're basically an Arnott dealer. If I had to convert a V8 Continental, I'd use OE FOrd parts from a junkyard '97+ car. I'd keep the air suspension first though as the later cars don't seem to handle as well nor do they ride as smoothly. The V6 Continentals are closer to Tauri and seem less affected by a spring conversion, although they do need slightly stiffer springs to account for their heavier bodies.

My first clue the computer was bad when I had replaced almost all the other parts. This car had a bad engine computer to so it did not surprise me. I hooked up a another height sensor to the one on the passenger side of the trunk on top of the strut and it lowered and now it works fine.

I am not really sure, but I think it is the height sensor on top of the strut on the passenger side of the car this is giving me most of the problems.

I commend you on saving the car. Most people would have junked it I bet with so many electronic glitches. If you have a spare sensor handy, you could throw it on to see. I thought you were futher back in the diagnostic/repair process. There is a value to what the sensor should read when connected to a multimeter, but I am not sure of the exact value. Maybe someone else knows. Good luck.

lincolnlarry said:
I just replaced the air system on my 93 Conti with a Strutmasters coil system. The ride is firmer, but the handling and cornering is improved. Unless one prefers the plush air ride, and money is no object, the coil system is the way to go. I wish I had done it sooner.

wow, ive had a set of custom strutmasters coils sitting in my garage for over a year now, maybe i should toss them in since my ride control is going wacko too

A new problem

Ok, here is the new problem. When I turn the car off, the compressor will kick on soon there after and raise ethier the back or front of the car as high as it will go.

I have tried a air ride computer, three rear height sensors, the pressure sensor on top of the strut in the passenger trunk, and a compressor.

Any ideas? It seems like I am the only one who has all these problems. Oh well...

I've never heard of so many problems and I've read a lot of threads on the topic.

What year is the car again? I think you need to run the self diagnostic test on the air suspension. It'll save a lot of time and should keep you from further doing the replace and check routine. A tech article with the process might be available at LincolnsOnline. If not, I would post there asking if anyone knows it.

It is a 1994 Continental Executive. I hate the air ride on this thing. I would love to get a 1998 instead.

Members online

Back