Cold Air Intake

Bimmer

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a CTS with the 3.6 Engine and the Sport Package. I am thinking about installing the K & N Cold Air Intake System. Has anyone done this and will this show an improvement in mileage?

You are not going to increase mpg. The computer uses the Mass Air Flow (MAF) to monitor incoming air and adjust the fuel to compensate. The air fuel ratio is fixed at 14.7 lbs air to 1 lb of fuel and cannot be altered by the air filter.

Its urban legend that changing the air filtration systems improves mileage and even K&N disclaims that. Go read their faqs.

Read between the lines, K&N is saying don't expect any mileage increase but if you want to believe all the propaganda that helps sells our products, so be it.

We certainly understand why it is theoretically possible for a consumer to experience a mileage increase after installing a K&N air filter or intake system, however, we do not go so far as to make a general claim that our air filters and intake systems will provide an increase in mileage.

Theoretically: Restricted to theory; not practical:

Cold Intake

I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS and I have installed the D3 Cold Intake for Cadillacs of this year model. It may not have increased my gas mileage but it has increased my "driving enthusiasm"! I just love the new, deep, throaty sound it makes during acceleration! These guys were featured in the 2009 MotorTrend article concerning upgrades for the new Cadillac CTS. They are based in California and the website is: www.d3rd.com. I chose the chrome version of the cold intake and it simply bolts right-on - it really looks sharp! However, it is a bit more expensive than the K&N, at $450.00.

Volant cold air

I installed the Volant Cold Air Kit. Was a easy install took about an hour.
Last weekend made a Road Trip to visit family in Kentucky. 888 Miles Round Trip. Average speed 69.9 MPH and 28.2 MPG.
Car is more responsive, around town about 1 MPG improvement, on the highway maybe 2-3MPG. Not sure since this last trip was 100% interstate with no stops.:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back