Climate Control, Again

Bluesman73

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. My climate control is acting up on my '93. I think I have a vacuum leak somewhere because when at idle or slightly off idle, everything works fine. After 1/8th throttle, the climate control moves from the vents to the defroster (which is the default setting for safety). I looked in the engine compartment at all of the vacuum lines and didn't find anything. I looked for a vacuum canister thinking mine might have developed a split, but then I couldn't find it. (I don't have any codes thrown for the engine, so I know if I do have a vacuum leak, it isn't very big.) I don't have a manual yet, so I really don't know if these cars even have vacuum canisters. I then poked around under the dash behind the glove box and all of the vacuum lines look fine. I pulled the climate control to look at the lines leading directly to it, and other than a slightly loose vacuum connector, everything also seemed fine. I lubed the connector slightly with Vaseline to help with a seal and fashioned a piece of hard wire to apply direct pressure to the back of the connector (mine was slightly bowed away from the control unit).

So. After all of that, which really didn't take too long, the vents didn't work at all. I rechecked all of the vacuum lines to ensure I didn't pull any of them loose, and nothing there. I then searched the threads on LVC and found the Climate Control Self Diagnostic Test; which I performed per instructed. No codes, no flashing string of lights around the display during the test, and then the full display came on and would only turn off if I ended the test. Not an especially good sign.

Now to my questions. Does anyone have the vacuum diagrams handy for the routing under the dash and for under the hood specifically pertaining to the climate control system? I've seen the ones for the back of the climate control unit, but I don't need those ones. (I would rather have some sort of reference before I resort to taking out the dash.) Also, it might sound like my Climate Control is shot, so I'm taking opinions on that too.

Thanks for the advice and any diagrams anyone might have. (I'm in the process of ordering a service manual, but I'm impatient considering it's getting rather hot here in Oklahoma and let face it, having cold air and A/C that works but doesn't blow in your face just doesn't cut it.)

Bluesman

Members online

Back