Cleaning under the hood

BBoyd

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Whats the best way to clean underneath the hood? Do you just take it to a coin carwash and hit it with the pressure washer or what? I have a cone filter so I probably would not want to get that wet. I would especially appreciate input from those of you who take your LS to car shows and really show off your engine compartment.

What I do when I clean my engine compartment is take some Windex and some old towels and start cleaning. I highly recommend that you do NOT take your car the spray wash and clean out the engine. This will cause more problems than you can believe. Just take your time and clean every thing you can get to. After that take a little baby oil or something similar and spray on the hoses. This is what I do before each car show. Good luck!

Ya take it to a car wash if you want and pressure wash closest I would get with it is 4in how we I do it at work. But I'm not sure if it will hurt the filter be safe I guess I would put a plastic bag around it. This would probly be the fast way not the detailed way.

Why is it bad to clean it at the spray n wash? I've done it once, but if you can please warn me of the dangers then i'll stay away..

lexdiamondz10304 said:
Why is it bad to clean it at the spray n wash? I've done it once, but if you can please warn me of the dangers then i'll stay away..
There may not be that big of an issue with the V8 LS's since the COP's have a cover over them. However, the V6 LS's do not and your just asking for problems. I know for a fact when I was on LLSOC a member there went to the spray wash with his LS and it was down for a week. He had to replace all of the COP's. I would just recommend that you don't do that since there are so many electronic components in the engine bay.

I don't know what it can do. But I detail cars at Ford and every vehical we clean we pressure wash under the hood and dry it off with towels. And no one has came back and said anthing was broke. Althought most Ford cars have engine covers.

When I get my car back, I'm gonna clean the under the hood, and some engine components, intake, throttle body, etc.

If you want to clean under the hood, look for a cleaner that doesn't need to be hosed off, and take out a scrub brush.

The pic is of my garage floor, which is being redone. I used gunk green all purpose cleaner and a scub brush. No water was used. You can tell the difference, the white area vs. the rest of the floor.

floor.jpg

BBoyd said:
Whats the best way to clean underneath the hood? Do you just take it to a coin carwash and hit it with the pressure washer or what? I have a cone filter so I probably would not want to get that wet. I would especially appreciate input from those of you who take your LS to car shows and really show off your engine compartment.
Where I detail cars, we just take some degreaser (similar to simple green or mean-green) and spray it down and let it sit for a minute. Then, just take the pressure washer and spray it off. From there, we use an air gun and blow it out........towels will work too. But, as has been said, be careful not to go crazy spraying around the electrical connectors and just put a grocery bag around your filter and you should be fine. I have never had a problem with spraying out engines..........plus, if you do it once, then you should probably never have to do it again. Every time I wash my car, I just pop the hood and wipe everything off again so it stays clean.

Members online

No members online now.
Back