"Check Engine Light"

Carol

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My check engine light came on about 1 week ago. I had an appointment today to have it checked on the computer and yesterday the light went off. I called the garage and they said as long as I don't have any problems with the car (and I don't) that it would be a waste of money to put it on the computer. He said if it comes on again they would check it out right away for me. Does it make sense that the light would stay on for a week (it didn't blink) and then reset itself?

it can happen, although there might be a code still stored.

a lot of causes of the light can be intermittant, and the programming of the ECM allows the light to be extingushied if the problem clears and remains clear for a certain time frame

Do you know some person that might own a OBD II code reader that could read your code for free? Autozone has been mentioned they do it for free? Then you can find out what the code is with out paying the shop. If the shop charges you $100 maybe you should go buy your own code reader for $100.

Evap system codes can come and go and can be caused by something as silly as a loose gas tank cap.

I had the same situation just recently. The code pulled said it was a Bad DPFE Sensor. Ordered one from Max at 5 star and now I'm good to go.

autozone will pull it for free (if your car is OBDII, 95~ish and up) then get the code number from the kid, should be P0___ the, _'s represent the #'s (ex p0301, cly 1 missfire) then just leave, they will try to sell you something (usually the wrong part) just drive away laughing at the kid and post the code here

I bought a code reader and do it myself. If it is an emissions thing I notify my mechanic on the next oil change and we look into it. I clear the codes myself. I haven't had anything serious yet. 2002 Conti (amazing vehicle). The reader has paid for itself already. I also used it on my wife's 1995 Grand Marquis today ... same issue, emissions.

autozone will pull it for free (if your car is OBDII, 95~ish and up) then get the code number from the kid, should be P0___ the, _'s represent the #'s (ex p0301, cly 1 missfire) then just leave, they will try to sell you something (usually the wrong part) just drive away laughing at the kid and post the code here

I've been reading this post with interest. I posted codes I received on my 94 conti, and after 125 reads, I have had zero responses. Maybe someone can look again as now I have replaced my starter and have horrible running at idle. It also smells like fuel when idleing. Cars runs like crap!!

Will

Post is titled EEC IV system codes and what they mean.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=45439

Members online

No members online now.
Back