Check Advance Trak message?

Jim Henderson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 LSV8 with about 21,000 miles on it. I have owned it since about 14,000 miles.

I have had no troubles with Advance Track other than it always flashes when I go over a particular railroad crossing with a turn and hump thrown in for fun. Sometimes the wheels will lift off the ground maybe a tad, and no I am not driving fast thru the crossing, maybe 15 to 20mph since it is just after a stop. I expect the warning light to flash on this crossing and when I make a tight turn on a wet corner.

But, today The warning and "Check Advance Trak" message came on for several miles. I was driving on the freeway, at about 70+mph, "drive 55 and die on that road". It was a very rough California Rain Groove road. This is the first time I had passengers in the back seat since I owned it. Before the message, my son who weighs maybe 100# in the back seat said he felt hot air coming out from under the left rear seat. The AC was on cool at the time.

Also before the warning, I heard maybe a very faint whine or maybe it was some background music on the radio talk show. One of those sounds you are not sure you hear, but you don't think you heard it before in that car.

The light came on, nothing felt different. I turned the AT on and off several times while on the freeway, no difference. When I got off onto surface streets it stayed on. I turned the engine off at a light. The light cleared itself but turned back on maybe half a block later on a straight 40mph smooth road.

Parked it, smelled for burnt brake smell, none found. Did some business for maybe 30 minutes. When I came back out the light was off and has stayed off for at least 30miles of freeway driving(half of that with the same 4 passenger load, half with just my dainty 265#s), but not as rough rain grooves.

So what do the Advance Trak knowledgable guys think? Was it the rough rain grooves? Is there a heat source under the rear passenger seat? Mine does not have the optional heated rear seats. Is there some Advance Trak wiring under the driver seat that my son and his size 10 gun boat shoes might have scrambled? I have not yet had a chance to inspect the fluid level in the differential since I owned the car. Could this be a source of the problem?

Hope it has gone away but will probably jack it up this weekend to check the pumpkin and see if there is wiring under the seat.

My wild uneducated guess is the rough rain groove road confused the computer and maybe the much heavier load than normal might have had a hand in it.

Any thoughts and trouble shooting insights would be appreciated.

Jim henderson

My Advance Trak did almost the exact same thing one evening on the 210 in Pasadena, same year as yours with similiar milage... hasn't happened since and I don't remember anything odd about the road surface and it was just my 150lbs on board.

Did you happen to have the seat coolers on at the same time your son felt the heat coming from under the seat? On 04 my I typically get an updraft between the seat and the center console with the seat cooler / heater turn on; I remember driving to work one morning with the seat heater on wondering why I was getting a cold draft on my right arm.

Jim Henderson said:
I have a 2004 LSV8 with about 21,000 miles on it. I have owned it since about 14,000 miles.

I have had no troubles with Advance Track other than it always flashes when I go over a particular railroad crossing with a turn and hump thrown in for fun. Sometimes the wheels will lift off the ground maybe a tad, and no I am not driving fast thru the crossing, maybe 15 to 20mph since it is just after a stop. I expect the warning light to flash on this crossing and when I make a tight turn on a wet corner.

But, today The warning and "Check Advance Trak" message came on for several miles. I was driving on the freeway, at about 70+mph, "drive 55 and die on that road". It was a very rough California Rain Groove road. This is the first time I had passengers in the back seat since I owned it. Before the message, my son who weighs maybe 100# in the back seat said he felt hot air coming out from under the left rear seat. The AC was on cool at the time.

Also before the warning, I heard maybe a very faint whine or maybe it was some background music on the radio talk show. One of those sounds you are not sure you hear, but you don't think you heard it before in that car.

The light came on, nothing felt different. I turned the AT on and off several times while on the freeway, no difference. When I got off onto surface streets it stayed on. I turned the engine off at a light. The light cleared itself but turned back on maybe half a block later on a straight 40mph smooth road.

Parked it, smelled for burnt brake smell, none found. Did some business for maybe 30 minutes. When I came back out the light was off and has stayed off for at least 30miles of freeway driving(half of that with the same 4 passenger load, half with just my dainty 265#s), but not as rough rain grooves.

So what do the Advance Trak knowledgable guys think? Was it the rough rain grooves? Is there a heat source under the rear passenger seat? Mine does not have the optional heated rear seats. Is there some Advance Trak wiring under the driver seat that my son and his size 10 gun boat shoes might have scrambled? I have not yet had a chance to inspect the fluid level in the differential since I owned the car. Could this be a source of the problem?

Hope it has gone away but will probably jack it up this weekend to check the pumpkin and see if there is wiring under the seat.

My wild uneducated guess is the rough rain groove road confused the computer and maybe the much heavier load than normal might have had a hand in it.

Jim henderson
It sounds plausible.........I might consider doing another drive with the same conditions and see if the problem persists. The other day I went to start my car after getting changed from class to go to work and when I did, it told me to check my advancetrac. I muttered a few choice words.......shut the car off........and the light never came back on. Weird things happen with these cars. Hope everything is all well........should be covered under warranty if it is though :steering

Jim Henderson said:

Jim henderson

your son may have inadvertently turned on the rear heated seat?

You should get the car checked, cause mine did that one weekend, (2004 LS V8) and it cleared itself by monday, so i thought nothing of it. a week later it turns back on and it does'nt clear itself, so i took it in this last tuesday, and i just got it in wednesday morning. There seem to be wiring problems and short circuiting problems. my 2004 has 25000 miles. i recomend you take your car in because the dealer guy told me that if i had ignored the problem one more time the problem would have worsened. oh and it was covered by my warrenty. They even gave me a loaner car cause they had to keep it over night. Well i hopes this helps someone.

So far, haven't seen the light again, other than that railroad crossing that always sets it for a second. Probably close to 70 miles+ on it since the light was cleared.

If it happens again I will setup an appointment with the dealer. I expect it is covered by warranty. I just hate to go into dealers since they always want to do extra services etc and my experiece over the years has been that often something else minor will be broke or undone after they return it. I have not had this experience with the Lincoln dealer since I am so new to this car, so I expect good things of them. Just old habits dying hard.

Jim Henderson

is the abs light on also?

03 and up have a problem with the front speed sensors, there is a tsb on it. Change the sensor and drill vent holes in the ABS tone ring covers to allow moisture to get out.

time for a trip to the dealer.

Jay

I read the paper work they gave me and one of the major problems was that a resistor, was "resisting", it was supposed to read .4 ohms and it read 6.8, so they had to change that also, im not sur about the abs light, but he did mention it as aproblem too. All i know is that i got my baby back and its fixed and i dont had to drive the crappy car they gave me.

LincolnTech38 said:
is the abs light on also?

03 and up have a problem with the front speed sensors, there is a tsb on it. Change the sensor and drill vent holes in the ABS tone ring covers to allow moisture to get out.

time for a trip to the dealer.

Jay

No ABS light.

Jim Henderson

Members online

No members online now.
Back