Changed coils, still have engine light

mayhawboy's LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I finally got two new coils in from the stealership. $167 bucks for two. The guy said that he gave them to me at wholesale. Stuck it to me, but i was desperate. Hate it with a passion when my cars run like crap. Nonetheless, i put the coils in, and it ran like a scalded dog (that's Southern for fast). It nearly scared me. Got all sideways in a wet road and spun nearly into third gear (everything's wet thanks to TS Cindy). Needless to say its running good and i'm 90% happy. Yes partially, i still have an engine light on. What could this be? Do i need to clear the codes from when it was running bad or what. it's not blinking like before, just staying lit. Any help would be awesome.

I could reset after a few drives but if you want to reset it I would go to autozone and ask them to read the pcm to get the code and reset it. Wait to see if it returns.

yep disconnect it for about 10 minutes. someone mentioned a way to do it faster which involved removing both _ and + terminals and clampping them together and applying the beake but I have not tested it.

Please have the pcm scanned be fore you reset it though. Of course if it is a real problem it will come back but it is always best to know what you had before doing so.

I'll try disconnecting the battery for about ten, then reconnect and see what happens. probably should just let it idle for a few when i reconnect. eLeS, would probably trust you if you were here and wanted to try clamping the leads together, but i think i'll just try disconnecting for now. Thanks for the advice.

Well that's good news. My check engine light went away a few days after the repair.

lsbit said:
Well that's good news. My check engine light went away a few days after the repair.

Older OBDII cars used to reset immdiately. On the LS, it takes a few drive cycles for the SES light to clear... so if it bothers you, disconnect the battery; or just give it a few days.

Members online

Back