cat back?

LuxFord

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ok, iv got 2 questions. i would like to put a "cat back" exhaust system on my car but exactly what makes it a cat back? and 2, i would like to run my car next year at cordova drag way in midnight mayhem which is any street legal car can run. that said iv heard alot about gears. exactly where should i look and what am i looking for. i think someone told me 3.73? i dont want them to low to where im high rev on highway but then again i dont know exactly how they work or much about them. so thanks everyone and as always everyones help and opinion is very helpful. id like to show all them "import tuners" that a lincoln isnt just a luxury car and ofcourse i know i need a chip 80mm MAF:D Oh P.S. where can i find a MAF adapter to use a conical air filter. that way if i cant get the 80mm right away i can atleast use a better flowing airfilter and make it look cool. thanks again.

sorry, i have so many question. what the H3!! is that black peice of hollow plastic thing that sticks out of the air intake hose that go's kinda over the intake manifold? its connected by a rubber hose.

'Cat back' is the part ofthe exhaust system from the rear of the car - tail pipe all thwya up to, but not including the catalytic converters. Cats are $$ so most performance systems are 'cat back'- If you really want the performance replace the cats with performance versions (better flow).

As to the adapter I got one for my wife's here:
http://www.turbohoses.com/

ok thanks, i was gunna have one made at the muffler shop here in town. cant find to many things for the markVIII.

for gears you do need a comp tune, but not nessissarly the maf, though it prolly couldnt hurt for the future. You also will want a trak lok unit. a rear rebuild kit, and a metal matrix driveshaft.

ok thanks, and rmac yes i am talking about cordova drag way, i live right in fulton, IL. sorry i just really wanna know what the heck those things on the air intake are for? the 2 things on the side 1 kinda looks like a triangle and the other is a big hunk of hollow plastic that connects to the mane hose. i seen a picture that someone had taken it off and used a clamp and something to cover it up. i looked on supercoupeperformance.com and they said i would need some type of lube when useing the 3.73 for somereason and about how much would it cost for someone to put it in? with the different gears is there a big difference? oh and sorry 1 more question. has anyone heard or used one of those shift kit things from B&M racing that resets the hydraulics. i was thinkin about getting one but if it isnt worth it and theres somethin else then i would apriciate any help with that also. thanks for the help guys you all help alot.:D

LuxFord said:
yes i am talking about cordova drag way, i live right in fulton, IL.

when are you going? I might be interested in meeting up with you. I've been wanting to take the car to the track this year. I haven't ran it ever since I got my exhaust.

We have had a cat back setup for 6 years now. Here it is.

qx4new.jpg

Those two plastic pieces on the air intake tube are just silencers. They do nothing but quiet the incoming air. The big one towards the back can be removed and you can just put a 1.5"( I think) plumbing cap on it. The other one can be cut off, but you would have to cover the hole somehow. People have used the spare plastic to make a piece to cover the hole, and then fiberglassed over it. Also I believe you can ship the intake tube to Lincoln Motorsport and they will smooth it out and paint it, if you can deal with the downtime.

cool, thanks again, midnight mayhem is september 1st gates open at 10pm races start at 11pm and i think its until 3am but im not 100% on that.

ONEBADMK8 said:
We have had a cat back setup for 6 years now. Here it is.

qx4new.jpg

yea im still thinkin about it i like it, but what makes it a "catback" and how would i use XX2's on it, i dont have the cut outs for tips on my bumper. i also looked at your pic gallery, i love your car. how did you get it to look so nice, i got new plug wires monday and it took me an hour to make them look somewhat desent in the plastic wire looms.

LuxFord said:
cool, thanks again, midnight mayhem is september 1st gates open at 10pm races start at 11pm and i think its until 3am but im not 100% on that.

I might be up for that!

alright thats cool, iv never raced on a drag stip before, its gunna be new to me :confused: i might be abit shaky, i just dunna what all to do, after the run which way do i go and all that small stuff.

LuxFord said:
alright thats cool, iv never raced on a drag stip before, its gunna be new to me :confused: i might be abit shaky, i just dunna what all to do, after the run which way do i go and all that small stuff.

that stuff is all different depending on the track, just take a first run easy and go from there

alright cool, well if you decide to go im sure you can help me out. you dont have yahoo or msn do ya?

thats cool, how far from fulton are you? and if anyone else would like to come hang out race whatever it could be fun. i also have another question. it says these heads add another 60hp to the stock mustang cobra, would it be about the same, more or less if i was to replace with my stock heads? http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03cobrarib.htm

LuxFord said:
thats cool, how far from fulton are you? and if anyone else would like to come hang out race whatever it could be fun. i also have another question. it says these heads add another 60hp to the stock mustang cobra, would it be about the same, more or less if i was to replace with my stock heads? http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03cobrarib.htm
1400 for them heads....? You will need to get a c-head intake manifold along with injectors.

dont seem like a bad deal, price is about avg.

id go with diffrent cams and valvetrain than what they are offering, nice, but not quite agressive enough for my tastes.

yea id like alittle different setup then the intake on my car, and im sure the cobra heads and intake would look nice and help alot im sure, but how much hp gain, any one know about?

LuxFord said:
yea im still thinkin about it i like it, but what makes it a "catback" and how would i use XX2's on it, i dont have the cut outs for tips on my bumper. i also looked at your pic gallery, i love your car. how did you get it to look so nice, i got new plug wires monday and it took me an hour to make them look somewhat desent in the plastic wire looms.

Cat back is jjust waht it says. You replace the entire system from the cats back (see shiny silver painted piping all the way to mufflers) The XX Pipes are shown in use at the driveshaft area. Also we have our same mufflers in a TIPLESS version for only $99.00 each.

oooohhh, ok i get it now. i figured it was some fancy way to run the pipes a sertain way or somethin, hehe.

LuxFord said:
thats cool, how far from fulton are you?[/url]

I'm just outside of Chicago so I'm at least 3 hours out (traffic is a bitch on Friday nights!)

Members online

No members online now.
Back