Car turns over, fires up, then immediately stalls.

Calabrio

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo II

I'm stumped on this one. After a long tow, my Mazda RX7 Turbo will not run. The engine will turn over, the car will fire up, and then it will die.

About a thousand miles ago, I replaced the fuel pump and filter. As of this afternoon, the pump appeared to be working. The sock filter was clear. And I installed a new fuel filter just to be sure.

I replaced the spark plugs.

All of the electrical connections around the air intake appear to be in connected. And all of the fuses are good.

The car still will not run.

If I continue to turn the key, the engine will still stall.
Any help is appreciated.

I can't tell if this is fuel or a computer problem.

Well if it starts try to stay on the gas. We did that with our Galant after i was being stupid and accidentaly reset the ECU by disconecting the battery. It was having the same type of thing. So what i did was I turned the key and as soon as it started I reved it hard and kept my foot on the gas and let the RPMs stay at 2k.

Get a compression test... sonds like your motor might be boned...

Starting troubles are the first sign of low compression, which is the first sigh of a motor that is about to :q:q:q:q the bed...

I too am an 87 T2 owner btw :)

Also continued cranking only exasperates the problem, mainly causing flooding which cause the motor not to want to start at all...

If the motor is shot I'd yank it out and send it to Kevin @ Rotarty Resurrection...

http://www.rx7club.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

http://www.rotaryresurrection.com/

...wow.... resurrected a long dead thread.

The problem was much easier than it sounded.
Air, fuel, or spark.
It was an air issue.

A hose popped off on the air intake while I was towing it cross-country.
Two second, free repair than ended up costing far more in time and needless parts than was necessary.

Do you have an '87 or, like me, one that was built and sold in early '86- so it still has some of the hard to find parts that are associated with the Japanese only ones- ie. the a/c

I have a true 87 MY car.... don't remember the build date off the top of my head...

My car is decently optioned, most of which I don't want lol..

Sunroof, AC, PS, etc... typical turbo model...

Black with grey interior...

Right now it is burning severe amount of oil and I parked it until next spring when I have more time to deal with it, and it isn't so :q:q:q:qing cold out...

Yeah, all the Turbo 2s came pretty loaded. I have all the original paperwork (I'm the second owner) and they cost about the same as a Vette back. It was a Porsche fighter. Inside the engine, you can see the build or inspection date written in crayon on one of the pieces of plastic. It was marked on 04/86 and purchased in June, 86 as a 1987 model. This caused some confusion because when I was looking into buying, she kept saying it was an '86 Turbo and, as far as i knew, there wasn't an '86 turbo 2 model. I eventually figured it out.

I'm lucky though, because it has all but two options.
It doesn't have the factory CD player.
And it doesn't have Power Steering -which is just brilliant in a little sports car like that.

Mine is going to become optioned like I want it... buh bye sunroof, and bye bye power steering....

I just need to sort out the issues, get it running right... fun little cars when they are running right... mine is kind of a POS right now, but I scored it for a hell of a deal...

Members online

Back