Caddy in the UK

XYYMAN

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am living in the UK and have seen a beautiful 1993 CADILLAC ELDORADO Touring Coupe for sale. Milage reads 75,000 miles on the clock. Knowing absolutly nothing about these cars or it's Northstar engine, I could use some help looking for problems before I buy. Thanks in anticipation. Car would exchange at around $9750.00.

First of all, is it a European version of the Eldorado? I believe from 93 to 95 the Eldo was sold in Europe, with features specific to European requirements. The tail lights should have an orange turn signal, the orange daytime running lamps would be white or deactivated, the mold for the license plate would be broader, there was only one light for backing up (integrated into the right tail light unit) , and I think there would be no side markers. I'll try to post a picture if I can. I personally don't like the way the European version looks in the back - it just doesn't look good with that orange turn signal.

If it happens to be a US version, many of these items would probably need to be converted to European standards in order to pass inspection. This can be very expensive, unless the previous owner has already done all that.

Also, I don't think there were any Eldos with right-hand drive - wouldn't it bother you to drive a left-hand drive car in Great Britain where cars drive on the left?

As far as mechanical problems are concerned, a few threads ago this was discussed in this Eldorado forum.

93caddy1.jpg

93caddy2.jpg

price is kind of steep, the eldo must be a rare find over there-I paid $8450 for a 99 fully loaded with 74k on her

eldo in the uk

Ok... It appears to be an American version with changes made to conform with UK law. These vehicles are rare here so I guess that is why it seems expensive. As for driving a LHD, I use to own and run a 42 Willys and soon got use to the difference so it should be fine. The other car up for grabs is a 1994 Lincoln MKV111. I do like the look of the Caddy a little more but again I am unsure which would be the wisest buy. We do have good parts suppliers here for both vehicles.

only probs with the N* are oil leaks,and burning oil due to lack of hard driving-
the Linc. is nice but CADDYS KICK BUTT:D

I guess one other reason why the price seems steep is because the British pound is very strong against the US Dollar. To somebody with an income in pounds this might not seem quite so expensive.

How is it that Caddy parts are easily available in Britain? I thought Cadillac has not been present in Europe for years and is just trying to stage a comeback with the likes of the smalles Cadillac ever (the BLS, short for baby luxury sedan), which even comes with a diesel engine.

bls1.jpg

bls2.jpg

Having browsed the net there are several good parts suppliers for American vehicles here in the UK. I know we have a small but fanatical group of owner/drivers particularly the big Dodge and Ford pick-ups. The Caddy STS is one the only RHD models available therefore are quite sought after. For the same money of £5000 UKP one could buy are clean BMW or Merc but for me they just don't have the style of the American cars.

What about a BLS, then? Parts availability should be good since the BLS is practically the same car as a Saab and a Vauxhall / Opel Vectra, i.e. they share the same GM platform. Plus I'd imagine the BLS having RHD since the Saabs and Vectras are sold as RHDs in Britain.

Though, of course, the BLS doens't have a N* engine.

eldo99er said:
How is it that Caddy parts are easily available in Britain? I thought Cadillac has not been present in Europe for years....

Hi Eldo99er

I can get almost 100% of service items within 24 hours, most other spares within 48 hours and every other spare within 7 - 10 days, there is an exstensive American spares network here in the U.K called Ampar and dozens of car dealers.

Regards

Dereck

Members online

No members online now.
Back