Buying/Selling 1984/85 Lincoln Mark VII Turbo Diesels

OldSchool1

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
OK. Now I'm fed the hell up.

When will people get it through their heads that

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET FOR SELLING YOUR CAR AND WHAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PAY ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NUMBERS ?

ebay item #7936639065 is described as a parts car/project car and the starting bid was $100.00 This is known as a realistic, knowledgeable start.

ebay item #4503835258 is described as a real gem with zero rust, minimal scratches or dents, 154,000 miles (after twenty years 200,000 is normal) runs fine and has been maintained with documented upgrades, repairs and replacements. With a starting bid of $100.00, this car fetched $5,013.33

Then there's the other seller that says since the car originally sold for $25,831.00 in 1984 then it should be worth at least ten percent of that or $2,583.10 in 2004! So what if it doesn't run. So what if it's over 200,000 miles on it. Ok, so then they try at $1800.00 with no takers and then twice at $1500.00 with no takers. I offered $1500.00 if he could get it running but I never heard back for the seller ... until tonight.

I was asked if I was still interested and I said yes but only as a parts car. If today, I bought a non-running parts car from the state of, oh let's just say SOUTH CAROLINA for example, I'd have to fly down at $200.00 and then pay Penske $850.00 for a truck and a dolly one way to Philly and in addition to that, $300.00 - $500.00 tops for this parts car. Fifth grade math says that my total cost for this parts car would be over one thousand dollars!

After pointing all of this out to the seller, he replied, "GOOD LUCK!" I pointed him to the first ebay item mentioned above. When he gets fed up with trying to sell the car, he'll pay a flatbed truck $100.00 to haul it to the junk yard where they, in turn, will give him $100.00 for the car.

A month later, a member from LvC or FvC or LOL finds this car in the yard after it has been picked over by the Mark VII vultures* and says, "YO OldSchool! Here's a picture of something that used to be sweet but the seats are ripped and the hood is gone and the dash is totally trashed and they tried to remove the brake system but quit when they broke a steel line. Also looks like they ripped a hole in the radiator while removing the water pump. I hope they knew that it doesn't fit the gas engines. So what parts do you need?"

I sit back, sigh, and remember when that car was worth $1,500.00

*(a Mark VII vulture is someone who will completely destroy the dashboard of a Mark VII in a junk yard just to get to the already busted heater core and then later tell everyone that will listen that a Mark VII is a piece of junk)

Members online

Back