Buick V. Oldsmobile

92SedandeVille-TownCar94

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
For a very long time, Olds and Buick were almost inseperable. They offered cars that we're similarly priced, similarly designed, and for the most part, they sold to the same clientele.

In 1995 when Oldsmobile came out with the Aurora, they went down a sportier route than Buick, they had sportier, more modern designs then Buick did at the time.

I've always thought of Buick as a junior Cadillac, very conservative. "old money"

The modern Oldsmobile (1985-2004) was halfway between Buick and Pontiac. Its as luxurious as Buick, but more sporty like a Pontiac, just not as gimmicky.

What do you guys think?

if any car is an old mans car, its a buick.

in the words of my friend "man, i cant wait till i hit 60 so i can buy a buick"

I never really like buick or oldsmobile, olds seemed kinda cheapy and being sporty made it worse, might as well been made in Chingchong! Anyways, i like the old cutlass and the regal..

Your pretty much on the mark. GM originally wanted a model range for different price ranges (who knows what they're doing now). Chevrolet was the base everymans ride, then you'd move up to a Pontiac, then an Olds, a Buick, and those at the top of the heap had the Cadillac.

This was supported by apropriate advertising making a identity for each division.

This was when GM was operated by automotive people not accountants. Henry Ford had a particular dislike for bean counters. It's said he once canned all of them hired by his son Edsel, to give him a lesson in something.

Bring back the car guys, where's the next Lee Iacocca?

Chevrolet was the base everymans ride, then you'd move up to a Pontiac, then an Olds, a Buick, and those at the top of the heap had the Cadillac.

I'm not sure Olds comes before Buick. My own perception is Buick, Olds, Cadillac. This is based on close component sharing between Cadillac and Olds. It seems like luxury parts developed at Cadillac, would "trickle down" to Olds before Buick.

I can't historically back this all up, maybe you can? The Aurora platform and powertrain are a bit closer to Cadillac than the Riviera, but it's not the best example? Any historians around?

But then you had the Grand National. Stupid name, but the car itself was a solid performer. It's all a joke now!
KS

But then you had the Grand National. Stupid name, but the car itself was a solid performer. It's all a joke now!
KS

Actually the Lacrosse Super is a 5.3L V8 and right around 300 horse. Its built on the same "w" body as the grand prix gtp and impala ss. Talk about a sleeper!

Members online

No members online now.
Back