Broken Injector Harness Connectors

2001LS8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
In another thread, I had asked about replacing the injector harness connector on my car since most of them had broken when I replaced the injectors. The retaining clip breaks at the hinge. No one knew of a fix...but I think I may have found one. Motorcraft makes a harness repair kit. It's actually the entire connector with wiring and is intended to be used when you damage the connector and wires. You simply cut off the old connector and splice and solder the new one in. Now, I'm not about to start cutting up my good harness, but I will bet the farm that you can disassemble the wire connectors from the plastic connector and re-install them in the new connector. The Motorcraft part number for a 2001 LS8 is WPT-159. I used these kits when I installed climate controlled seats in my wife's Aviator and they are very good....but VERY spendy if I recall. I'm going to pick one up today and see what's involved.

So pull the pins and exchnage the clips. I have done this with many other connectors in the past but have always found ti to be very time consuming. Post some pix if you get the chance please.

Thanks. Judging by the luck that I have had over the last 4.5 years it will not be long before I have to replace an injector.

Yea...Keep us posted. Of course, I don't know if I want to replace the connector with one of the same. Is it me or is the quality of cars going downhill again? I haven't been happy with anything past '95 yet.

you can remove the pins from the conector with a terminal tool (specialty tool shops will have them). But for whats its worth just put a zip tie through the slot were the clip broke and around the connector on the injector. these guys break ALL of the time and thats usualy the fix for them.

mikepietras04 said:
you can remove the pins from the conector with a terminal tool (specialty tool shops will have them). But for whats its worth just put a zip tie through the slot were the clip broke and around the connector on the injector. these guys break ALL of the time and thats usualy the fix for them.

I have used the "zip" fix in the past and am not opposed to using it again! But I have all the terminal tools and repair kits, so I'm going to see if I can't try that. I picked up a connector yesterday, so I'll see what's involved. I only bought one for now...the damn things are almost $15 a piece! And that's getting the "good buy"! Hmmmm......zip ties are sure a bunch cheaper!

Yikes, 15 bux. Yeah a 2 cent zip tie sounds like the way to go. But it is nice of you to test this out for us.

Ok. I looked into replacing the injector connectors yesterday. After I figured out how the pins came out of the connector. Now, remember....you have 16 of these to do. The 8 new ones and the 8 on the car. I figured it would cost about $120 for the connector kits and about 4 to 6 hours worth of work bent over the fender. Not only that, getting the pins out is a major PIA on these connectors. I bailed and zip tied the things!! You run the zip tie through the hole in the connector where the clip broke out and around the injector and snug it up. There is no way in the world it can ever come loose. Not only that, where my ties are black, they are not readily visable so it doesn't look bad either. Since new connectors will break too when they have to be removed, this repair probably makes the most sense.

The only thing I have left to do to this car is replace the driver's side valve cover gasket and seals. Did the right side already. Not looking forward to the left. Not at all. It's not leaking yet, but we all know it will be.

Yea...I did mine last night and just used zip ties like you mentioned. Nice snug fit and better than the Ford brittle connectors. :)

gee I must be lucky I've never had a problem with connectors on the ford injectors before. And I had to move plenty of pins from one ford connector to another when I did the SC motor into the 88 stang swap.
The only connector repair kit that I need right now is the one for an ect sensor. The 04 motor into the 96 gt needed to extent the wiring harness for the pcm ect sensor and the shop did a really cheesy extension splice. I want to move it back to the drivers side after I drill and tap the boss on the intake crossover.

JES_LS said:
gee I must be lucky I've never had a problem with connectors on the ford injectors before. And I had to move plenty of pins from one ford connector to another when I did the SC motor into the 88 stang swap.

Yea...I have pulled injectors out of 10 year old Mustangs before with no problems. These connectors are just SO weak. You CAN'T break the old Mustang ones. It's like those old 19# injectors. You could throw them to the ground and not hurt them. :)

These are different injector connectors than the old Mustang's had. They are actually a great design that's easy to remove....except they didn't use the proper material and the heat makes them brittle...so they break!

You know you don't really have to have the clips clipped, they make a little vacuum seal that holds them on adequately. Just fyi.

Members online

No members online now.
Back