Brake Fade on my '97

Randeaux

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've been having a strange experience with brake fade on my '97 Town Car. Whenever I come to a stop from a speed over 50mph (i.e. coming to a stop on a freeway off-ramp.) my brakes will groan loudly from the front passenger side and then fade out. To avoid this problem, I have to pump the brakes gently to come to a stop. I admit, I don't really know much about brakes and their problems. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Fade is an overheat problem. I would check the fluid, if it is brownish, change it. A groaning could be pads getting worn and\or the rotor(s) may need turning or replacing.
I would do a brake job on 'er.

Hi Randeaux

Sounds like an ABS fault, false ABS activation is most often caused by corrosion in the wheel sensor wiring connectors.

You could whizz down to Autozone first and have them check for fault codes (Diagnostic Trouble Codes 1095, 1145, 1155, 1165, 1175, 1233, 1234, 1235, and/or 1236 may be present) or just clean and grease (use di-electric grease) all wheel sensor connectors also do the same to the HCU connector and see if it cures the problem.

Regards

Dereck

Thanks for the help y'all! I'll check into it on Tuesday. (Gotta work another16 tonight!) (All this overtime lately, I might even be able to afford a "Brembo Brake-over", I mean, make-over on the Townie!) ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back