Bitter Sweet Defeat!!!!!!!!!!

DUVALINCOLN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well it's been about 3 months and 3 different mechanics(including the dealership as one) later and still dealing with the same issues, check engine light reading codes of 0133P, 0133, 0153, 0153P. So far I've had the coils, all spark plugs , O2 sensors, water pump, intake manifold and some other things replaced during this project of finding out what is causing the code.

Here is what I know. The car has a rough start-up in the am when I first start it and then its fine the rest of the day except for a few shakes here and there. One the check engine light comes on I get the same codes as listed before. Then i can hear the engine fans coming on as odd times like first thing in the morning when i start the car after it has sit all night. Sooner or later I get the overheating problems and take to shop. Same cycle since the summer and no one has been able to locate the issue. The last mechanic is found coolant in the spark plugs and addressed that problem. About a 3 weeks later same issues engine light, code, fans, overheat. Took in and the water pump had went out. Yesterday check engine light, same codes, now just awaiting the rest of the pattern.:confused:

ummmm, if you have coolant leaking into your spark plug wells, then you have some SERIOUS problems...

I had those same codes this year, took a long time to find the problem. The problem was bad O2 sensors! Yep, a couple of bad sensors mixed into the new ones and not the correct sensors! Someone had some fun at the parts place switching parts in the boxes. Double and triple check the sensors! Switch them from side to side, does the error code follow the sensor location? If it does you have found the bad sensor. If you move the sensors and the code remain the same, you may have a bad (broken wire) connector or contact, check also the fuse box in the engine compartment, I believe its fuse #7 for the sensors.

I had those same codes this year, took a long time to find the problem. The problem was bad O2 sensors! Yep, a couple of bad sensors mixed into the new ones and not the correct sensors! Someone had some fun at the parts place switching parts in the boxes. Double and triple check the sensors! Switch them from side to side, does the error code follow the sensor location? If it does you have found the bad sensor. If you move the sensors and the code remain the same, you may have a bad (broken wire) connector or contact, check also the fuse box in the engine compartment, I believe its fuse #7 for the sensors.

Switching them won't work in this case as the two codes set are indicating BOTH are bad. I would check them both for fouling, provided the fuse indicate isn't bad. If they both are fouled, then you have more serious problems with the engine. How often do you have to put oil in the engine? If they aren't fouled, then defective new would be the next thought.

Thanks Tireman/Telco for the info. I will definitely follow-up. As far the oil, I change it every time the mileage or date time is up on the regular. I love my Lincoln and really want to get her back to rolling normal.

I woke -up this morning and checked the the fuses in the front power distribution box and the 7 fuse in fuse box on passenger side and all seemed ok.

So my next step is to check the O2 senors again (I believe there are two???) Many thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks Tireman/Telco for the info. I will definitely follow-up. As far the oil, I change it every time the mileage or date time is up on the regular. I love my Lincoln and really want to get her back to rolling normal.

I woke -up this morning and checked the the fuses in the front power distribution box and the 7 fuse in fuse box on passenger side and all seemed ok.

So my next step is to check the O2 senors again (I believe there are two???) Many thanks.

There are 4 O2 sensors, pre-cat and post-cat on both sides.

Did you clear the codes after you fixed things? They'll still show up even though you fixed the problem which will make it harder to sort through whats causing the CEL.

Yes, cleared codes and usually came on with 24 - 48 hours after being cleared.

Yes, it take a few drive cycles (3) for the code to come back on. There are 4 sensors. switch the two front ones, it only takes a few minutes, reset codes and drive again, see what the new code is. U cannot swap front to back, as these are different sensors, but U can swap side to side. check for bad contacts in the connectors, rust. The codes are from the front sensors. I got both codes even tho only on sensor was bad!!! Finally ordered 2 from ebay for $15 each, mystery parts, installed them and no more codes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally ordered 2 from ebay for $15 each, mystery parts, installed them and no more codes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How was your mileage before and after? I've found that non-OEM O2 sensors normally cause a drop in mileage even though they will clear the codes.

Had this situation happening a few months ago before the custom exhaust went in..eventually changed all 4 sensors and also found out that not having the splash guard on the bottom of the engine causes all kinds of havoc for the sensors..alternator..omg. After changing all 4, no issues..even after new catback was installed. High flow cats going on in a few days..hope no CEL's issues come to play...

Members online

Back