Beware

TattooingSC

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have the 87 up for sale on carsdirect.com. I was contacted by a guy named Troy Phelan, who claims to be a representative for a canadian firm who buys automobiles and has them shipped for clients. He claimed that a client of his had contacted him to assess and finalize the sale of my car. We emailed back and forth a few times, then today I got an email telling me he was sending a cashier's check for 10,000, and gave some lame excuse about the check being made out for another vehicle which fell through. I was supposed to deposit the check, and then wire transfer the balance back to them. Yeah, right. That's when I noticed that his email provider was a free email host. I sent him back a nasty email, and told him I hoped noone else was taken by his scam. I then printed all the correspondence, typed up a letter of complaint, and sent it to the Department of Banking Securities and Interests. I assume the FBI will take over now.

Be careful who you do business with, no foul to me, but I'm sure others have fallen for these things.

TattooingSC said:
I have the 87 up for sale on carsdirect.com. I was contacted by a guy named Troy Phelan, who claims to be a representative for a canadian firm who buys automobiles and has them shipped for clients. He claimed that a client of his had contacted him to assess and finalize the sale of my car. We emailed back and forth a few times, then today I got an email telling me he was sending a cashier's check for 10,000, and gave some lame excuse about the check being made out for another vehicle which fell through. I was supposed to deposit the check, and then wire transfer the balance back to them. Yeah, right. That's when I noticed that his email provider was a free email host. I sent him back a nasty email, and told him I hoped noone else was taken by his scam. I then printed all the correspondence, typed up a letter of complaint, and sent it to the Department of Banking Securities and Interests. I assume the FBI will take over now.

Be careful who you do business with, no foul to me, but I'm sure others have fallen for these things.

He sent you 10k for your car and say your car was worth 5k. Then you send him back the rest? Did I miss a part?

No,This is how the scam works. I agree to sell for 3k. He' thinking I'm hurting to sell quickly, sends me a bogus certified check, which I deposit at the bank. Being a canadian check, it takes time to clear. He thinks that since it's a "certified check", I'll wire transfer back the balance before the check clears.
They still don't get the car, but then they've gotten me for 7k. Understand?
Luckily, I was a step ahead of the game.

I'm sure it's just a volume thing, with all the cars for sale on the internet, if they try this 50 times a day, they almost have to hit one or two people who think it's legit.

Last edited by a moderator:
TattooingSC said:
No,This is how the scam works. I agree to sell for 3k. He' thinking I'm hurting to sell quickly, sends me a bogus certified check, which I deposit at the bank. Being a canadian check, it takes time to clear. He thinks that since it's a "certified check", I'll wire transfer back the balance before the check clears.
They still don't get the car, but then they've gotten me for 7k. Understand?
Luckily, I was a step ahead of the game.

I'm sure it's just a volume thing, with all the cars for sale on the internet, if they try this 50 times a day, they almost have to hit one or two people who think it's legit.

Ohh, I understand. Damn! Very good thing you cought. Why are you selling?

Good move on your part. Never heard of that before, thanks for the heads up.

Glad you didn't get taken. Certified Checks are almost becoming worthless. Never accept a personal or cashier's check. Wire transfers only.

MonsterMark said:
Glad you didn't get taken. Certified Checks are almost becoming worthless. Never accept a personal or cashier's check. Wire transfers only.
that they are.

Sifrino,
I'm selling the 87 because I have way too many vehicles right now, and because I just bought a 91.

I'm glad I was able to enlighten a few of you, so you'll all be careful when selling your cars. Remember this when your friends or family decide to sell their cars, and we'll try to stop these scumbags from screwing good people.

I have one motto for selling vehicles, come with cash, leave with discount.

MarkOfDeath said:
most cashier checks only go to 1000 dollars.
I still do cashier's checks for amounts between 5000 and 25,000. The people on the receiving end simply hold the funds or goods until the check clears the bank, like any other check. Very few banks will cash a cashier's bank without verifying funds first.

Members online

No members online now.
Back