beware driver emissions, need to reduce car emissions

babyhauler

LVC Member
Reaction score
Oregon emissions check said the high speed test was fine, but the idle sniff test had too many hydrocarbons in the exhaust.

engine off test gives code 63 (throttle position sensor) and code 14- what is code 14?
has rough, choppy idle, smoother when warm
:D driver and passenger emissions are obnoxious but have no effect on vehicle perfomormance.

Here is what I’ve got so far

Has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor
timing is ok
coolant, oil ok
new thermostat (done today, the old one was stuck open)
feels like it has good compression
mileage was 21mpg in mixed city/hwy.
has had oil leaks, but none active now.

Next up is fuel filter, pcv valve, fuel injector cleaner and [your suggestion here]?

I looked all over for the pcv valve, where is it on this car exactly?

The winner gets to cruise in my Cartier next time you visit Oregon.

Babyhauler- 1988 5.0 efi Cartier w/ child seats.
"Whatever the shop manual says, I can make it take four times longer!"

The thermostat being stuck can cause some problems all by itself. The car has to warm up for the computer to function properly. Does it run better now that you fixed that? The old computer systems take awhile to adjust to changes.

Your PCV valve is buried in the back behind the intake. If you can find the 1/2" hose in the back, it leads right to it. I grabbed a hold of mine and traced it out to the right side(ish) of the intake and pulled on the hose to pull the valve out. Replace the valve in the hose and relied on the hose being "pre-formed" due to age and heat to aid in placeing the valve back in the general area. From there it went back into place.

Thanks 02LSE96LSC91SE84TC for the tips.

I tested it on my driveway and the cooling system workded perfectly. First time it got to proper temp in the two weeks I have owned it. Then I drove it around the block and checked my handiwork for leaks. Still has the rough idle.

Tomorrow night I will drive it around the neigborhood on some errands and take it for drive on the freeway so the computer can adjust like you said. Then do the pcv valve and fuel filter- after I find the pcv!

And thanks also torqumonkey, sounds like I can just do it by feel-

Aaarrrgh!! Defeated

OK. My car ran about 50% better after I put in the new thermostat and the new throttle position sensor. But I could never find that PCV valve, I tried! After I put in the sensor I cleared the computer codes. The emissions over limit are reduced by 50%. Now the computer says I have vaccuum problems, I have to pass emissions, and I am in way over my head and so my car is now in the loving hands of an expert mechanic. Thanks for all your help though guys, lincolnvscaddilac gave me encouragement to dignose and replace the thermostat and sensor myself. Next time I will get further

Change the oil right before you go, it can help. Sounds stupid but it worked on my 200K E-150. Passed VA idle emmisions after the oil change, failed before (the instopectpr told me to go change the oil and he will retest it. Also make sure you run the engine for at least 15 min prior to going to the test.

Frat-man-du said:
Change the oil right before you go, it can help. Sounds stupid but it worked on my 200K E-150. Passed VA idle emmisions after the oil change, failed before (the instopectpr told me to go change the oil and he will retest it. Also make sure you run the engine for at least 15 min prior to going to the test.

Burnnig oil = hydrocarbons. New oil it just a tad thicker than old oil when hot (thanks to sheering and other stuff) so it'll be picked up by the Oil rings alot better.

If you just failed @ idle, I'd say the Throttle Sensor did that. That little sensor is HUGE on older EFI vehicles like ours.

Aaaa soooooooo! Go figure . I did run a can of BG 44K Maybe that helps. Past emissions two years in a row now.

Car still at shop- I have a friend who was going to have his shop do it, but then he decided to send it to a shop where they can diagnose it while it is hooked up to the same testing gear the state uses. I am curious to find out what their solution is going to be. I will keep you guys posted.

I am going to restore and improve this car over time, the problem is that in Oregon there is no emissions workaround, if you don't pass emissions before your permit runs out, no tags or title. There are no extensions or exceptions. Isn't that friendly of a taxing authority? (this is where I was going to put my rant, aren't you glad I spared you?) So I am under a time crunch to get this done. That is why I had to send it to a shop.

Passed Oregon emissions today. Car sailed right through with 2 new cats. the tps was bad but the cats were the main problem.

Now I need a new driver emissions system. I do like the little triangle window, but there must be a better way.

torquemonkey said:
Your PCV valve is buried in the back behind the intake. If you can find the 1/2" hose in the back, it leads right to it. I grabbed a hold of mine and traced it out to the right side(ish) of the intake and pulled on the hose to pull the valve out. Replace the valve in the hose and relied on the hose being "pre-formed" due to age and heat to aid in placeing the valve back in the general area. From there it went back into place.

I finally got that PCV valve out- the valve was working correctly, only the filter behind it was clogged, so I used a sheetrock screw to take that out and cleaned it. Car seems to be running better, but with so many recent repairs: cats, TPS, thermostat and todays I can't really tell what it is. I just like driving this car around. This town car feels so good. And I love the eighties look. I can't believe you can buy this much car for $1100!

Today I tightened up the air conditioning/air injector belt. It was so loose.

I wonder what else I will find to do on this thing??

And I wonder how many repairs this novice can do before I make something worse??

~ Remove the radiator and have it dipped and cleaned.

~ De-Carbonize the enigne w/ Seafoam or like treatment.

~ Has the rear differential oil been changed?

~ New sound system.

~ Steam clean the interior.

~ Clean out your A/C evaporator.

~ Detail the under-carriage.

Just thinking out loud...;)

Good to here that the PCV deal worked out. I should check the screen on mine.

Redwingvksm said:
Burnnig oil = hydrocarbons. New oil it just a tad thicker than old oil when hot (thanks to sheering and other stuff) so it'll be picked up by the Oil rings alot better.

I was told to use synthetic oil for that same reason. Urban legend around says the syn don't burn like regular oil and the sniffer won't pick it up.
)Just the messenger here:shifty:(

torquemonkey said:
I was told to use synthetic oil for that same reason. Urban legend around says the syn don't burn like regular oil and the sniffer won't pick it up.
)Just the messenger here:shifty:(

It takes a higher tempature to burn syn oil. If the engine burns it - the sniffer WILL pick it up, just a legend - that's all.

Syn oil is a bit thinner, but it takes more heat to burn. Oil burning shouldn't be THAT much different (a little better) but the real reasion why it doesn't burn as much is that the syn oil frees up the rings.

LincolnvsCadillac volunteer spirit!

torquemonkey said:
~ Remove the radiator and have it dipped and cleaned.

~ De-Carbonize the enigne w/ Seafoam or like treatment.

~ Has the rear differential oil been changed?

~ New sound system.

~ Steam clean the interior.

~ Clean out your A/C evaporator.

~ Detail the under-carriage.

Just thinking out loud...;)

Good to here that the PCV deal worked out. I should check the screen on mine.

Thanks for offering to do all that stuff Torquemonkey! I have been meaning to do all that but I haven't had time with two jobs and all. If you come do that for me this Saturday I will share my slow cooked BBQ turkey with you!

babyhauler said:
Thanks for offering to do all that stuff Torquemonkey! I have been meaning to do all that but I haven't had time with two jobs and all. If you come do that for me this Saturday I will share my slow cooked BBQ turkey with you!

I appreciate the offer. I'm going to be a bit south of Oregon this weekend.:)

Members online

Back