Ball Joint Replacement Help

aram

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I ordered the two uprights because the ball joint bolts came loose on my mom's 2000 Lincoln LS and made the car handle really scary. I am replacing the uprights (with ball joint attatched) today and was wondering if anyone has any of the torque specs for the nuts and bolts. I guess that would include the ball joint bolt, hub bolts and the mounting bolts for the upright?

Aram
----------------------------------------
1991 RX7 - 2000 LS1 Swap
2002 Firebird Formula M6 - Bolt ons

aram said:
Hi, I ordered the two uprights because the ball joint bolts came loose on my mom's 2000 Lincoln LS and made the car handle really scary. I am replacing the uprights (with ball joint attatched) today and was wondering if anyone has any of the torque specs for the nuts and bolts. I guess that would include the ball joint bolt, hub bolts and the mounting bolts for the upright?

UPRIGHT = CONTROL ARM or A ARM
LOL, I'm just bored.
:Beer

Actually I don't think it's a control arm (those are what it's bolted to iirc) and not technically a spindle since the hub bolts onto it and is sealed. Maybe it's an A-Arm but I just call anything that's not a spindle but pretty much the same thing an upright.

Either way it doesn't matter the torque specs for the bolts are pretty important on those parts and since it's not my car I'd like to make it as safe as possible.

Anyone have the shop manual or even maybe a haynes manual that has the torque specs?

I honestly never work on this thing except to change the oil and
do routine maintenence. It is a pretty nice car and has been really reliable but the whole ball joint nut loosening up was pretty scary and the dealer didn't want to do anything about it even though there was a recall on them not being tightened properly.

Members online

Back