Axle codes on 78 Diamond Jubilee

Nigelmelb

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just owndering if anyone knows the difference between axle codes on 78 lincoln diamond jubilee's.
So far i have come accross a axle code 1 and also an axle code J.

What would the difference be?

Thanks for your help.

Nigel

The difference in codes is for the suretrack system that some Diamond Jubilee editions had from the factory.
The suretrack system was an option for the Diamond Jubilee.
Not many had it but, those that did recieved a different axle code.
I think the ones with suretrack were coded with the "J" axle
Bob..

Thanks for that Bob. I havent been able to find any info about this at all.

What is sure track? I gather that it is a traction control system. I thought all Diamond Jubilee's were fully optioned.

Any chance bob you know the difference between the C6 Austomatic and the C6 special Austomatic in the same vehicles?

Thanks for your help Bob.

Nigel.

Nigel, I owned a Diamond Jubilee for seventeen years(just sold it three weeks ago) and, I was not aware of two different c6 transmissions.
As for the options on the Diamond Jubilee, true, they had many standard features that were options on other mark v models, but moonroof(which most of them had) and the suretrack system were options.Even though I have sold the Jubilee, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for that car.
Mvc-010s.jpg

It was originally all gold but I grew tired of everything in gold so I painted it black, still leaving just enough gold to make it attractive.
I sold it for a lot less than I wanted because I needed to make room in the yard for a garage that I am building for my 59 MkIV convertible.
Do you own a Diamond Jubilee, or are you contemplating getting one?
Bob.

That looks great. Gee, wish i had a chance to get that one.

No, i don't own one yet but will in the very near future. I'm from Australia and i'm just trying to get as much info as i can about the cars because i'm not going to get a chance to look at the car before i purchase it.

May i ask how much you sold yours for? Also did yours have the sure trac system? Did it work well? How many miles did yours have when you sold it?

Are the Diamond Jubilee's known for being the most comfortable ride? That is what i am after, just the most cushy cruiser i can find.

Here is the site that mentions the two transmissions.

http://automotivemileposts.com/prod1978mark5.html

Got any other pictures? Would love to see them. You can e-mail them to me if you want.

nlanson@iprimus.com.au

Thanks bob.

Hi NigelMelb

Axle code 1 is a convential differential with a ratio of 2.50:1

Axle code J is a traction lok differential with a ratio of 2.50:1

Transmission code U is the standard C6 transmission

Transmission code Z is the police spec transmission

Regards

Dereck

Thanks heaps for the info. Is there anywhere that you know of where i can find this info?

So, the traction lock diff is just a limited slip diff? Not electronic at all is it?

Also, whats the difference between the standard tranny and the police spec? Different ratios? stronger? Are they all 3 speed?

Thanks for your help Dereck.

Hi Nigel Melb

Where to get the info? I have a selection of shop manuals, try www.Classiquecars.com, www.ebay or www.helminc.com for manuals, or just search the web it's all out there somewhere.

Traction lok is a limited slip axle, uses clutch plates no electronics, not to many electronics available in 1978 :)

I do not know the difference between the police C6 and everyone elses C6.

Regards

Dereck

Thanks again for that.

So the only options avaliable on the Diamond Jubilee were the moon roof, CB radio and the Limited slip diff?

Thanks.

Nigel, Those were about the only things that were options on these fabulous Diamond Jubilees.
As for more pics of the one I just sold, click on the fotki link in my post, and then click on the diamiond jubilee folder.
I sold it for $6000 less than it should have sold for.
I sold it for $2000,00
The engine was a new rebuilt and only had 9500 miles on it.
As for ther ride,there is none smoother.
A friend of mine has a towncar, 2 years old, and when he bought it brand new, it didn't ride any smoother than the Diamond Jubilee.
The dude that bought my car really got a unspoiled gem.
It only needed a few small cosmetics to bring it back to show material.
Someone once said, "nothing last forever", and it was time to move on too other things.
Right now, my 59 convertible is taking center stage for the foreseeable future.
Bob.
MVC-002S1.jpg

Gee, $2000. What a bargin. Would of bought it in an instant. Really want a diamond jubilee but the gold and blue aint the best of colours. Yours would have been perfect.

Oh well, i will find one. Just one thing i find strange is that a lot of these DJ's have had their engines re-built after round the 100,000 miles mark. That doesnt seem like much. Cars in Australia especially the V8's usually get 3 or 4 times that amount before needing a rebuild.

Do you know why? Is that fairly normal in the US?

Thanks for the info bob.

Nigel, The only reason I had to have a rebuilt was because I had a fire in the engine a few years back, and the engine got so hot that the heads and block expanded beyond tollerances.
I was on my way to Las Vegas(late at night) and the reason the engine overheated in the first place was because I had put coolant in theradiator and forgot to replace the radiator cap.
When The engine finally ran out of water it started to heat up (with no gauge or light warning) to the point that it started a fire.
Fortunately, I always carried 5 gallons of water with me, and was able to confine the fire to just the engine.
I didn't put the new engine in it until a year later.
I did all the work myself, and when finished, you could put a glass of water on the hood, and it wouldn't shake when the car was at idle speed.
I had it listed for sale for about a year on different sites but, it wasan't till I lowered the price that a buyer came along.
Some answering the ads wanted it but did not have the funds to purchase it.
I am sure the new owner is very happy with it.
Bob.

Hi Bob Hubbard

Did your Diamond Judilee still have the umbrella in the center console?

Regards

Dereck

Nigelmelb said:
Gee, $2000. What a bargin. Would of bought it in an instant. Really want a diamond jubilee but the gold and blue aint the best of colours. Yours would have been perfect.

Oh well, i will find one. Just one thing i find strange is that a lot of these DJ's have had their engines re-built after round the 100,000 miles mark. That doesnt seem like much. Cars in Australia especially the V8's usually get 3 or 4 times that amount before needing a rebuild.

Do you know why? Is that fairly normal in the US?

Thanks for the info bob.

I had at least 175,000 miles on my Mark V when I sold it and it ran good. Smoothest riding car ever.

Dereck, I didn't have the umbrella or tool case with mine.
Some how over the years they disappeared.
Keep your eyes on ebay.
About once a month there is a Diamond for sale.
Bob.

Members online

No members online now.
Back