Automatic door locks in park and drive

eldo99er

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My 99 Eldorado locks the doors automatically when the shifter goes from P to R or D, which is o.k. as a safety feature.

But according to the manual, the doors are supposed to automatically unlock when the shifter goes back to P. So how come only the driver side unlocks and the passenger doesn't? I always have to manually pop the central locking button to let people on the passenger side out.

My Eldo did the same thing....................

eldo99er said:
My 99 Eldorado locks the doors automatically when the shifter goes from P to R or D, which is o.k. as a safety feature.

But according to the manual, the doors are supposed to automatically unlock when the shifter goes back to P. So how come only the driver side unlocks and the passenger doesn't? I always have to manually pop the central locking button to let people on the passenger side out.

The dealer said that this is the way that the system was designed. It really is not such a monumental task to push the little button to let the passenger out. IF THAT IS THE WORST COMPLAINT THAT YOU HAVE ABOUT YOUR eldo, count your blessings.

Thanks, at least I know the lock thing is more or less normal.

Sounds like the Eldo has a lot of problems, huh? I just bought mine two months ago believing that old Cadillacs run forever.

eldo99er said:

Maybe a short or something:confused: . Once my shifter goes to P both doors unlock:eek:.

ALBUNDY said:
Maybe a short or something:confused: . Once my shifter goes to P both doors unlock:eek:.

my eldo the pass door stays locked in park-also I have to click the key fob twice to unlock passanger door

taylor414ce2003 said:
my eldo the pass door stays locked in park-also I have to click the key fob twice to unlock passanger door

Well I guess it depends on the year. When in P both doors open anything after that both doors lock(I'm not sure about N). My fob system works this way one click driver's side open, three seconds later one click passengers side open.:D

Haven't had my 2000 Eldo since 2004, but if I recall correctly all of those functions can be programmed to your personal likes. What does the owners manual say?

Members online

No members online now.
Back