At start up air compressor

Darryls

LVC Member
Reaction score
At start up the air compressor comes on for about 10 seconds in the morning and for about 3 seconds if I go the grocery store for 30 min. Is that normal or a sign of a leak some were. My compressor is in need of replacing as it makes a lot of noise and is getting louder.

So should it come on for a few seconds every day at start up?

Thanks

my 91 is like that, will air up every morning (it actually will vent down an inch or so on all 4 corners after it sits for around an hour). Shorter down times (like running into the store for 10 mins) usually means a shorter air up time, as the car hasnt settled to its final park height.

the loud compressor maybe something to consider getting fixed. it could be soon to fail, they dont last forever.

but overall, it sounds like normal operation to me

Thank you, I am going to order one from American Air Suspension. Just wanted to make sure this was normal behavior normal.

great. need to change that thing out if its failing, because when it does, the computer tries to raise the car, turns on a non-working compressor, then opens the solenoids at the wheels, and without air pressure from the compressor, your gonna go down, instead of up, which will cause the computer to keep trying to raise, which will cause it to continue to go down.. I think you see where this is gonna end up!

Hi I'm confused about the air ride system on a 1997. Is the front end using the air ride system as well or is it just the rear of the car?
Now thinking maybe convert to springs on the back as the cost of the compressor seems to be a pretty big junk of the air system and I did not get any receipts of any work having been done on the Air system, it will soon all need to be replaced. Might be better just to do away with the air ride.

Is it hard to do just the back for one guy in a drive way?

If I replace just the rear end will the front end still work?

Does front end need compressor?

Thanks

1997 Continental only has air bags in the rear. The car still has computer controlled road sensing air shocks - 176 times per second making this car ride smooth.

This means you still need the compressor for the front.

No air ride complaints from me about my car. so far it is working well. 230,000 km and I do not know if it was replaced before i bought the car.

here is a good link for the basic info:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-2002-lincoln-continental-6.htm

Regards,
Brad.

well, if the rear only has air, then I dont know why you would need the compressor for the front.. The shocks/struts are electronically controlled, right? Not pnuematic. I would say you need the ride computer and all the sensors, and actuators, but probably not the compressor.

But then again, me specialty is the Essex conti (88-94). I am too broke to afford a V8 Intech Conti (I wish I could)

I am assuming the shocks are air shocks and this is how the computer controlled ride settings - firm ride, more air pressure. I will do some more research and let you know what I find.

If anyone knows for sure, let us know.

regards,
Brad.

the 88-94's use air struts. air bladders on the struts (the bladders replace the springs). the damping is controlled electronically (well, an actuator on top of the strut, connected to a rod that goes inside the strut and controls damping).

Just pumping more air into an air spring or even an air shock dont really do anything other than increase the rate (usually resulting in extention of the air spring or shock.)

air is a miserable material to use as a dampening medium. it compresses way too easily.

I usually dont think of 'firm ride' as high spring rates, but high damping rates. higher spring rates usually result in the vehicle sitting higher (unless you shorten the spring to compensate for the increase in height).

only way I see for an air spring to firm up a suspension is to have the suspension travel limited and the suspension is at the limit, so the spring cant extend any.

My 91 rides exactly the same with just me (about 270 lbs) as it does with me, my wife, my father-law, and my kid in it (total of close to 1000lbs of people), at the same ride height as just me. only difference is, once we all leave the car (take weight out and let the suspension extend again), we have about 5 or 6 inches MORE ride height, until all the doors are closed, then the computer vents the car back down to normal height. There is a LOT more air pressure in the springs with the car loaded down, and it still rides the same. that tells me the air pressure in the springs is only increasing the ability of the strut to hold up more weight. the firmness never changes regardless of how much tonnage is in the car.

My car has air shocks - there are two hoses going to each of the front struts. I am unable to see the rear shocks unless I take a wheel off. I just read the manual and it indicates it uses air to firm up the suspension. I will continue my research.

Regards,
Brad.

I believe the fronts and backs on my 02 a semi active, not passive. And my conti will level it self out after 15 minutes of sitting, and when I first sit in it. It lets the air out everytime you shut it off. So every time you start it it has to fill back up. Just turn the air ride off after it pumps up and see if it drops back down over time.

I did some more looking at my car while replacing the sway bar link. The 'hoses' going to the shocks actually containing wires. The shocks I thought were air are not. The wires are encased in hose similar to vaccuum line.

Regards,
Brad.

Members online

Back