anything but a phaser…

Ryanthelsman

LVC Member
Reaction score
2004 3.9 89k miles

So iv been battling a rich/timing issue the past few months with my project ls. I originally had a bank 2 rich code, an o2 sensor code, and p0012 for a stuck solenoid. The o2 sensor was replaced and the bank 2 was most likely due to the charging system being half ass connected by the previous owner and the car running with low voltage. I just got the valve cover off and replaced the VCT solenoid.
The symptoms before were a rough idle, and a lack of low end power. Well when I initially started the car with the new solenoid the car ran extremely smooth. Smoothest and healthiest iv ever had the car running. The idle was great, the engine seemed happy and surprisingly felt way more powerful at low RPM.
Well after driving the car for about 10 miles I cleared the codes after nothing went away on there own. I drove another 12 miles and got home with p0022 pending and nothing more.(except p1000 for emissions stuff) The car still ran well until I turned it off, went inside, and came back. I restarted the car and it was idling like garbage again and p0022 had finalized.
My questions are 1. Why was it running so well after the solenoid change just to go back too rough. 2. Is there ANYTHING else I can check before I inevitably have too change the cam phaser? Its strange it went from stuck “retarded” to now “stuck advanced”
Additional the oil is only a few hundred miles old and i made sure it was topped off.

Can't say this is the issue, but a common issue is that the passages in cam solenoids and phasers are extremely small and extremely easy to clog with any kind of oil contaminant. So there could be something floating around from months/years ago. A thorough cleaning might be sufficient?

Members online

Back