Anyone know what type of leather the Town Car uses?

TaurusSHO

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm obviously new here, but I thought it might be a good place to ask the question in the thread title. I don't know why, but for some reason it has really been bugging me. I was thinking it's fake but I dunno for sure.

And btw, I might be getting a 2006 Executive L if I have to replace my Taurus. Here's the link if you want to take a look.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=308443875&dealer_id=66710661&model=LINCTC&start_year=2006&search_type=used&distance=200&advanced=y&end_year=2012&default_sort=priceDESC&address=45248&max_price=15000&seller_type=b&make=LINC

Yea they have since 2001 I believe, although mainly for the fleet market. 221 inches long :D

huh. well anyway.
wikipedia states that "Leather upholstery had been standard since 1998". and i think it's real leather.

also, what year SHO?

Yea, but I've been in a terrible Toyota Avalon that supposedly had "leather upholstery" but it felt more like rubber than anything.

Haha, I don't have a SHO actually. It's explained in the welcome wagon forum.

The Leather in Town Cars is absolutely real, there Connolly Hides, better leather than the BMW my father drives IMHO. I love them in mine, extremely comfortable and very durable and easy to clean too. If it's a Lincoln with Leather interior from the past 20 years it's real.:L

They started making extended base TC's in 1998 for Livery use. The Cartier and Executive series L editions were first offered to the masses in 2001. Extended wheel base models all have a Limo package on them.:)

it just depends on which option was ordered mine was basically the lowest line of TC but they are good cars

Old thread, but I'd just like to state:

I think the leather in the Signature/Cartier models is a bit different than the Executives. At least in 95-97 models. You can see they have different patterns and it feels of higher quality, BUT...

The problem with this is, and mine has it as well, the leather seems to crack and tear quicker than the Execs. When I got my 97 in March, the front seat was fine. Now, it's dried out, cracked, and torn in one spot. A lot of the Sigs/Cartiers I've seen have the same issue while most of the Executive's seats are still in good shape.

Old thread, but I'd just like to state:

I think the leather in the Signature/Cartier models is a bit different than the Executives. At least in 95-97 models. You can see they have different patterns and it feels of higher quality, BUT...

The problem with this is, and mine has it as well, the leather seems to crack and tear quicker than the Execs. When I got my 97 in March, the front seat was fine. Now, it's dried out, cracked, and torn in one spot. A lot of the Sigs/Cartiers I've seen have the same issue while most of the Executive's seats are still in good shape.

I dunno, my Cartier has about 224k and the seats still look pretty good no tears just looks like normal wear. On my Mark 8 the seats cracked much easier on the sides and looked more worn out with half as many miles.

they are very good cars and they hold up well I've seen a 10 year old lexus with tears in the seat and it was supposedly leather lol japan leather bad air suspension.jpg

bad air suspension.jpg

Here's the skinny.

The Cartier Town Car, until 2002, used Connolly leather. They closed up shop in 2002.

They have used real leather since leather was first offered. The Executive and Signature trim cars use the same grade of leather, with a different sew pattern.

The reason 1990-1994 Exec./Sig. Town Car's leather seems almost like vinyl is because it has a thick plastic coating on it, to preserve it. IMO, it ruins the feel of it. The leather in my '94 Signature was stiff and cold, like vinyl. IF you sand that coating off, it's much better. The Cartier's were coated as well, but with a very thin layer.

Members online

Back