Another question about Ford's ESP

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've looked at the old threads, but I still have a lingering question- I have a year left on my manufactuer's warranty, but should I go for the Ford Premium ESP?

It seems that you can buy it from any dealer online, and the lowest for the 7 year plan has been around $12-1300. I do intend on driving my LS for a long time, so an ESP might be a good idea. However, most folks here seem to say that the LS is quite reliable up to 100K miles, if not beyond that.

I'm also concerned about what the ESP doesn't cover, esp. in the area of brakes, exhaust, lights, spark plugs?!

Components Not Covered by Ford ESP PremiumCare Mechanical:
Service adjustments/cleaning; battery/cables, belts, hoses, Brakes (front hub, drums, shoes, lining, disc rotors and pads); coolant; exhaust system (including catalytic converter); lights (bulbs, sealed beam and lenses); filters, fluids, lubricants, manual clutch disc, shock absorbers, spark plugs/wires; squeaks and rattles, tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, wheel studs, wiper blades.
Exterior
Service adjustments (glass and body parts); bright metal, bumpers, door handles, glass, moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal; sideview mirrors (glass, housing); water leaks, weatherstrip, wheel covers/ornaments; wind noise.
Interior
Buttons, carpet, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs; rearview mirror (glass, housing); trim, upholstery.

I guess it's mainly for peace of mind.

My question for the senior members- how many of you have spent $1300 after your warrranty expired on your car?

Dam for the 6 year 100,000 mile PremiumCare and ExtraCare extention I got quoted $2745 and $2500 respectly. For 6 year 75,000 it was $2080 and $1698 still strongly considering getting one since in the 30 days I've owned the LS it been in for warrenty work twice, just not shure witch.

Silver02Sport said:
Dam for the 6 year 100,000 mile PremiumCare and ExtraCare extention I got quoted $2745 and $2500 respectly. For 6 year 75,000 it was $2080 and $1698 still strongly considering getting one since in the 30 days I've owned the LS it been in for warrenty work twice, just not shure witch.

Hmm, any idea about how much the dealers are paying?

I'd say buy it. I guess I got ripped off I paid $2000 for the Premium 3yr 36,000. did I get raped? I have an LS8 w/ 61k on it. I have to say I really don't like the cars reliability. It makes some crazy noises and this morning smoke started pourning out from under it. I pull over and it's spewing out tranny fluid. I pull into Wawa and the thing overheats. All of this and my "check advancetrack" light is on. :Bang I drive it to the dealership where they do not cooperate. No loaners available, can't look at it until later da dada da. Long story short I think a hose broke that leads to the hydrolic fan, causing the leak and the car to overheat.
I just wonder what will happen next :slam

gray1g said:
I'd say buy it. I guess I got ripped off I paid $2000 for the Premium 3yr 36,000. did I get raped?

I paid the same at 50K to take me to 100K.
It appears that the Premium will cover valve cover gasket replacement and coils- not the plugs. (Not having a problem as of now, but I anticipate this being the "next thing", based on miles driven and age of the car.)

captainalias said:
I have a year left on my manufacturer's warranty, but should I go for the Ford Premium ESP?

It seems that you can buy it from any dealer online, and the lowest for the 7 year plan has been around $12-1300. .

Who gave you that price? I mean what dealer?

7 years....how many miles? 50k? 75k? 100k?

Oops, one more thing I have been burned twice on third party warranties. The first did not cover the issue I had. The second went bankrupt.

I had a Ford ESP on my Expy and had a spark plug blow out and ESP covered almost everything. VERY Very pleased with ESP

z1069 said:
Who gave you that price? I mean what dealer?

7 years....how many miles? 50k? 75k? 100k?

Oops, one more thing I have been burned twice on third party warranties. The first did not cover the issue I had. The second went bankrupt.

I had a Ford ESP on my Expy and had a spark plug blow out and ESP covered almost everything. VERY Very pleased with ESP

It was in one of the threads here- I think it was 75K miles, $50 deductible.

Do you get a loaner car as part of the ESP plan?

sucks

Okay day 2 and the dealership owes me a loaner which I did not get. They had to "rip the dash apart to get to the instrument cluster because of the check advance tracks light" Of course ESP doesn't cover hoses which caused my leak to the cooling fan. You pay $2000 for what? I swear when I hear any noise or feel anything weired the cars going back to the piece of SH*T dealership (Norristown Ford in Pa). I think their service dept is ran by quick lube rejects!

I bought my 2001 LS back in February and got the 7 year, 60k Ford Premium Care ESP with $50 deductible. My car had 20,000 miles on it when I got it. I think I paid around $1300 for it. One thing to note is that the 7 year warranty isn't an additional 7 years, it's seven total years since the car was first owned. That means 3 years beyond the orginal 4 year warranty. It's and exclusionary warranty so it coveres everything exept what they list as not covered. It does provide for a loaner car if one is available, or up to a certain amount daily for the rental of a Mercury or Lincoln vehicle if your car will be kept overnight for a covered repair. About a month after I bought my car I had to take it in for a broken window regulator and squeeking when turning the steering wheel. They replaced the regulator and the ball joints and tie rod ends. They did not have a loaner for me so I was able to rent a Lincoln Town Car from Enterprise for the week it took them to get the parts in and do the repair. They also replaced a headlight that had moisture in it. The total in parts, labor, and rental car fees was just about what I paid for the warranty. Of course I only had to pay the $50.

jlser said:
I bought my 2001 LS back in February and got the 7 year, 60k Ford Premium Care ESP with $50 deductible. My car had 20,000 miles on it when I got it. I think I paid around $1300 for it. One thing to note is that the 7 year warranty isn't an additional 7 years, it's seven total years since the car was first owned. That means 3 years beyond the orginal 4 year warranty. It's and exclusionary warranty so it coveres everything exept what they list as not covered. It does provide for a loaner car if one is available, or up to a certain amount daily for the rental of a Mercury or Lincoln vehicle if your car will be kept overnight for a covered repair. About a month after I bought my car I had to take it in for a broken window regulator and squeeking when turning the steering wheel. They replaced the regulator and the ball joints and tie rod ends. They did not have a loaner for me so I was able to rent a Lincoln Town Car from Enterprise for the week it took them to get the parts in and do the repair. They also replaced a headlight that had moisture in it. The total in parts, labor, and rental car fees was just about what I paid for the warranty. Of course I only had to pay the $50.

Hmm, on the premium plan, it mentions that it doesn't cover headlights?

Yes, does not cover things like holes in the lens or burned out bulbs. However, I was told that since the moisture problem was a factory defect it was covered.

i paid 1250 for a 2 yr 24000 warranty throught exotic warrabty. they suck. and the deductible is 200. so everything i needed done was like 150-199 so id be wasting money to go throught them

Sound advice I got when shopping for one was-

Do NOT buy third-party warranties.

Members online

No members online now.
Back