amp wiring

00ls-sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys. in the process of installing amp. i connected the ground to a little 8mm bolt near the back seat on the floor of the trunk. obviously the power will go to the battery. i cannot find the thread that says what to use for a remote turn on connection. can someone please tell me where? hopefully i can do it somewhere in the trunk instead of running the cable through the car. thanks in advance.

well, we tried tapping into the fuse for the heated mirrors in the trunk fuse box, but that didn't work. was hoping not to have to run the signal to the head unit, but oh well.

00ls-sport said:
hey guys. in the process of installing amp. i connected the ground to a little 8mm bolt near the back seat on the floor of the trunk. obviously the power will go to the battery. i cannot find the thread that says what to use for a remote turn on connection. can someone please tell me where? hopefully i can do it somewhere in the trunk instead of running the cable through the car. thanks in advance.

In my '01 I tapped into a switched hot that was in the trunk. On the drivers side behind the carpet is a plug with about 20 connections. I found a 12v+ switched hot in it. It was a yellow wire with some color stripe (I don't recall which) It was 3 wires in from the side of the plug. I would imagine that this goes to the fuel pump? If you find this plug and use a volt meter or test light you should be able to find the right one.

The wiring bundle had a vinyl sleeve on it that was taped at the end with black tape. I cut the tape, opened the sleeve and used a Scotch Lock connector to splice into the wire. I then put the sleeve back together with tape and my remote wire ran out of the sleeve by the end of the plug.

I'm trying this as well right now and am having problems too.

Power is hooked up to the amp (the power light is on), but I don't know if that means it's being turned on by the remote wire, or just having power from the battery. Can anybody confirm either way?

Anyways, I don't think hooking your remote wire to the heated mirrors wouldn't work as they wouldn't be 'hot' unless you hit the rear defrost (which is when the heated mirrors come on). But I could be wrong.

There is a remote wire (red/yellow) in the bundle of wires going to the factory amp if you have one, it's under the 3rd brake light inside the trunk.

were is it located again I tried this a few mo. ago and gave up. where do you find the the wire to connect the remote wire. Do you have factory HU alpine? thanks

get it installed by a pro. It will turn oout beter. i would do it for you for free, but pretty far.

That wasn't the question kudisbetta - there's a satisfaction for doing a job yourself.

Also, the 'pro' is going to have the same problem with finding a suitable spot to hook up the remote wire.

Alot of 'pros' don't know what the frig they're doing either.

From what I've read Mcafferty, the spot to hook up the remote wire is the red/yellow which is bundled into the harness going to the factory amp.

If you don't have a factory amp, then that wire isn't hooked to anything on the other end :(

I didn't have one, so I used the 12v+ switched that I mentioned in an earlier post. It was no problem and has been working fine for a wekk.

Kevin said:
Anyways, I don't think hooking your remote wire to the heated mirrors wouldn't work as they wouldn't be 'hot' unless you hit the rear defrost (which is when the heated mirrors come on). But I could be wrong.
QUOTE]

hooking it to the mirrors wouldn't make sense...but hooking it to the FUSE for the mirrors would be fine. that lead is live with key on and dead with key off. a good candidate for something like this.

I was able to hook amp up and the remote works with ignition on.
My question, when ls is turned off the stereo stays on until door is opened.
Cannot figure out how to wire remote so the amp stays on and shuts off when door is opened.
Thanks

wire the remote power wire to the rear window switch,
wires are located between teh 2 psgr doors under the pillar.

let me know if you need more help via email..

I no longer own an ls.. sold both :Beer

Where is this 20 pin at I dont have a factory amp and right now I just have it on the switched ignt. But I dont want that I want it on with the radio off with the radio>> if someone could be more spacif....

in the trunk, on the driver's side. pull down the grey carpeting towards the back end of the trunk. you will see the grey connector. splice into the yellow and blue wire.

00ls-sport said:
in the trunk, on the driver's side. pull down the grey carpeting towards the back end of the trunk. you will see the grey connector. splice into the yellow and blue wire.
I checked for power on the wire and there is none. I believe the connecter is not hooked under dash when ther is no factory amp.
Is this correct?

Thanks

i don't have the factory amp either. check for power with the key in the run position. it should work. it did on mine and mharrison's. it is switched to no power when the key is in the off position.

Members online

No members online now.
Back