Amp Problems

soy_chingon13

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just installed a 1000 watt amp in my 90 Deville. It replaced the 600 watt and 300 watt amps i had bridged together. I know where and how to hook them up, but this one is giving my problems. First of all, it seems that i'm not getting all my power from it; the bass comes out at a real low level even though its gain control is all the way up with the low pass filter. Second, the amp overheats when i have it loud for about 20 min. The overheating had started though before i got this amp. The two i had before would overheat after i upgraded to a 6 gauge wire for the current. If you know what may be causing the problem, please let me know. I also have a few question that maybe someone can answer:
1. Is there a minimum thickness for the wire used for the remote?
2. What would be a good size fuse to use for my current?
3. What type of fuse should i use?
(Right now i have a 35 amp glass fuse)

First, turn down the gain, that's probably why it is overheating. Second, run no smaller than 4 gauge wire, 6 is too small. Third, match the fuse for the wire with the one(s) on your amp. Should be somewhere around 80 amps for a 1000 watt amp.

For the low level of the amp, make sure the bass boost is up, and put the low pass filter adjust a little higher. This should give you the full output from the amp.

I say ANL fuse, they are more expensive, and so are the holders, but you will have trouble finding an 80 amp glass fuse.

For the remote wire, I say 16 gauge is fine, but definitely 4 gauge for power and ground.

soy_chingon13 said:
I just installed a 1000 watt amp in my 90 Deville. It replaced the 600 watt and 300 watt amps i had bridged together. I know where and how to hook them up, but this one is giving my problems. First of all, it seems that i'm not getting all my power from it; the bass comes out at a real low level even though its gain control is all the way up with the low pass filter. Second, the amp overheats when i have it loud for about 20 min. The overheating had started though before i got this amp. The two i had before would overheat after i upgraded to a 6 gauge wire for the current. If you know what may be causing the problem, please let me know. I also have a few question that maybe someone can answer:
1. Is there a minimum thickness for the wire used for the remote?
2. What would be a good size fuse to use for my current?
3. What type of fuse should i use?
(Right now i have a 35 amp glass fuse)

What kind of sub(s) are you running? How are they wired up?
You might have had the sub(s) wired to a lower ohm then the amps can handle, that can make them overheat quick.
The new amp sounds like it maybe has blown outputs or something.... Did it play sound at the proper level when you first hooked it up? Was it a new amp?

Wow somehow I missed that last comment, 35 amp fuse for 1000watt amp? wow thats way too small, as previous person said you need a 80amp fuse for sure.

I can say its probably a 1000w max amp, so its probably fine with a 35A fuse :p

What is the amp, and did you buy it new?

You most likely have the subs wired to it at a lower load than it can handle.

When the amp overheats, does it go in to protection, or does it just shut off?

whan I installed my amp it was hitting hard as hell and the power wire had a 90AMP fuse on it. so I went driving around to see how it worked and some kid in a honda wanted to race so we did I just dicked around with him then when I went to WOT the sub stoped it blow the fuse. the alternter was 120AMP so im a duma$$

Members online

No members online now.
Back