Almost a new owner - (I need some moral support)

crm2kmsu

LVC Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college a year ago, got a new job, need to buy a new car. Top of my list is the Lincoln LS. I am currently looking at a 2002 V8 with 34k miles, certified with a 100k mile warranty. Dealer wants 22k. Is this a decent deal? The car is cosmetically immaculate. The radio buttons aren't even shiny from greasy fingers. Anyway, I am just trying to find reassurance in this forum that this is the car to buy and it will be with me for a long time. Can anyone offer me advice? I appreciate the help and I hope to become a long time member of this community.

- Chris

Image1

i was in your same position and went for it. the ride has been great for the past 6 month with the normal brake work needed, but for the most part everything is fine. knock on wood. you have to think, is this car for you, will this buy make U happy. of course yes, so y not go for it. all cars have problems as well as the ls, i guarantee this car wont let you down.

for what its worth...

just bought my 2002 22k miles. PERFECT SHAPE, chrome wheels, loaded w/ all options... for $19,990

Look on internet...find the 'internet deals' thats what I did

Hey there I just got mine a month ago, and I am very glad that I did!!!! :Beer I say go for it!

lincoln 001.JPG

lincoln 002.JPG

lincoln 003.JPG

2002 is the best pre 03 because it gave flm about 3 years to perfect any problems, vc gaskets and the like.

I just bought a 2002 V8 with the Alpine and sunroof, black on black with 32K for 15900. 22K is way TOO much, even with the extended warranty(which is marked up as well I can guarantee). Do some reseacrh and you can find a dealer to let one go around 18 or less.

That car is on average going for around 17 at the auction. So some dealers pay more, some less.

I think you have made a smart choice of cars but I would either try to work them down about 3k or shop around. go to kbb.com and check out the trad value on build you are looking at and that will give you an idea of what they have in the car. I would offer 1000 over that value and if you really want the car then work with them on bring the price of the car up.

The psychology they use is it isn't how much you give it is how many times you give. What they are counting on is the customer tiring and then giving in after 3 or 4 trips to the sales mgr. I kow this becasue I used to sell cars and have plenty of friends loeft in the business. It wont hurt to ask for a little extra as you go up in price maybe a 1k or 1500 things such as an oil change or tranny fluid flush, wheel alighment etc.

SurfjaxLS said:
2002 is the best pre 03 because it gave flm about 3 years to perfect any problems, vc gaskets and the like.

Thanks. I've heard that 2002 and 2004 are the best years to get, becuase the changed 2003 models still hae some teething problems.

Also, slight OT question. How does the 2002 Lincoln Continental compare to the LS? I'm assuming it's nowhere as good in handling, and the ride is more floaty like a Town Car?

Is it a good deal? Yes and no.

Depends on what kind of income you are making, and what kind of debts you are paying off - which I'm not really asking for info on.

$22k is alot of money regardless, and will take time to pay off. Are you looking to buy a house in the next year or two? Having a high car payment can hurt those plans.

But as for the car itself - there aren't many 'deals' for used luxury cars that are as sweet as the LS. Depreciation as you know isn't kind to the LS, so picking one up used makes good financial sense if what you have to have is a luxury car.

And the LS is a heck of a preformer compared to other cars in it's class. Hey, most of us bought them for that reason alone. And becasue they're very affordable, I'm seeing alot of other younger drivers such as myself in them.

If you can justify the financial cost - go for it. The car won't let you down.

crm2kmsu said:
I graduated from college a year ago, got a new job, need to buy a new car. Top of my list is the Lincoln LS. I am currently looking at a 2002 V8 with 34k miles, certified with a 100k mile warranty. Dealer wants 22k. Is this a decent deal? The car is cosmetically immaculate. The radio buttons aren't even shiny from greasy fingers. Anyway, I am just trying to find reassurance in this forum that this is the car to buy and it will be with me for a long time. Can anyone offer me advice? I appreciate the help and I hope to become a long time member of this community.

- Chris

That is a lot of money for the car........however, that warranty would be nice. I would definately try to work the dealer down at least 3 thousand dollars because even if you do that, he is still going to make a killing off you. But again, with a warranty like that you are rest assured you wont be paying more in the future when your parts fail (valve cover gaskets......window regulators, thermostats, ball joints, temp. sensors.......pretty much anything on the car.) My advice, work them down and buy it. Paying 23 is a lot of money for that car. To give you reference..........there is a 2004 Lincoln LSE with 6,000 miles going for 32,000 at the store i work at (loaded). You could find a better deal. OH yeah......... :W

It does seem a little high. Dealer in town (Placentia, CA Southern Cal) has a Pearl White 04 Sport with 26k miles for $22,900. Air Cond Seats, 280hp.

Thanks for the advice

Ya I am going to see if I can get them to drop it to 19k. If they cant make me a decent counter offer I will walk and wait for another deal. Warranty is nice but I will pay through the nose for it. Thanks for the advice, it is good to have a honest opinion.

Yea its a bit pricey. I look at any LS's I can that are for sale and always laugh when they tell me what they are asking. But I've heard some good deals. I figured out there is atleast 4 prices they are asking here for any one particular car. 1 is in one of the auto books I get, the other is in another book, the 3rd is the paid programming from the dealer on tv during the weekend and the 4th is what they say you when go to the dealer w/out the previous information.

One LS down the street is listed in one book as '02 LS, 30,000 miles, fully loaded- 21,995. The other book, 20,995. The commercial, 19,895 and than if you go to the dealer and ask, 22,995. And than all you do is tell them the cheapest price you saw and than haggle them down another 1000 or so.

I bought my '02 in december of '04 for 21.995. Its got everything that the model came w/ and at the time it had 28,825 miles on it. I could of defiantly haggle it alittle but at the time I was not thinking. Wish I did w/ the payment I have know lol.

100k warranty?

crm2kmsu said:

- Chris

Image1
I bought my 01 LS for $26k with 9k miles on it. Only a 50k warranty. Had a bad harmonic balancer at 25k miles, covered under warranty w/loaner car. Now at 56k vac leak problem, otherwise trouble fee except for brakes and tires. Make sure the warranty is bumper to bumper. My two bits.

Members online

No members online now.
Back