Air suspension GONE

Cubster

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my car, less air suspension, I love the look, lowered approx 1.5" with the new shocks in the rear I now have a much better ride!!! My g/f even noticed that the car was lower ( and thats saying something ) lol. Next month sway bars front & rear. :L much better now !!!!

hottweelz said:
Niiiice Dude, wanna see the pics!

wow i think a trend is happening here, about 3 years ago or maybe 2 when i joined the LOD, coil over was never suggested as an alternative,it was looked down upon, but more and more people are doing it with great results, i am thinking bout opening a lube and shock shop,brakes and the like and offering the conversion,i cant believe how many of you guys have done it,i think i was the second one,and now ...a lot of ya!!!! :Beer

I think I was one of the first to "come out"... January of last year... I went public... took the thrashing, defended my decision, and then, like a mass exodus, my PM's were filling up faster than I could answer them.

viiiball, I remember you asking me about them after I did them... then Thomas... with his world-famous "AHHHHHHHHHHH-Much Better!" thread on Cal's site.....and the list goes on.

People... you need to understand. The air ride is a killer concept. it is designed well, rides excellent, and is alot of fun to mess with ...but lets face it... it is a "frill", and some of us dont need it. If you havent driven on a new set of lowered Coils, with a fat sway bar out back, and new shocks... you havent driven the Mark VIII's "alter-ego"... it changes...it becomes this well-mannered European sport coupe. I can drive... I mean really... I have been schooled, and have had my share of track sessions. Let me tell you...the air ride is fun, handles well, and has its perks... but no way on earth is it as predictable as a coil-equipped car.

Anyway... I am thrilled you got it done Cub.... I hope I was able to help a bit.

FOLKS... My "in-box" is open.... I will keep any contact "confidential" if you fear "hazing" from the board.....but if you want answers...I have them.

BlackIceLSC said:
I think I was one of the first to "come out"... January of last year... I went public... took the thrashing, defended my decision, and then, like a mass exodus, my PM's were filling up faster than I could answer them.

viiiball, I remember you asking me about them after I did them... then Thomas... with his world-famous "AHHHHHHHHHHH-Much Better!" thread on Cal's site.....and the list goes on.

People... you need to understand. The air ride is a killer concept. it is designed well, rides excellent, and is alot of fun to mess with ...but lets face it... it is a "frill", and some of us dont need it. If you havent driven on a new set of lowered Coils, with a fat sway bar out back, and new shocks... you havent driven the Mark VIII's "alter-ego"... it changes...it becomes this well-mannered European sport coupe. I can drive... I mean really... I have been schooled, and have had my share of track sessions. Let me tell you...the air ride is fun, handles well, and has its perks... but no way on earth is it as predictable as a coil-equipped car.

Anyway... I am thrilled you got it done Cub.... I hope I was able to help a bit.

FOLKS... My "in-box" is open.... I will keep any contact "confidential" if you fear "hazing" from the board.....but if you want answers...I have them.

yes you were #1.....you broke the ice for all of us to follow, i am pretty sure i was the second one.....to come out publically,i think,man i love it ,and love my mark....although the damn alt finally shot craps, but for 160k i have had it better than other guys with less miles! :N

are your cars 1 1/2 inches lower than the inflated airbag height or deflated airbag height?

it would have to be 1-1/2" lower than stock or inflated bags because if you car has deflated bags you are basically riding around on the frame

I think he meant "vented" bags...aka freeway/parked height.

My car sits at about the same height as a mark VIII would that has been sensor lowered. But not sensor lowered to the hilt by relocating the sensor mounts... just if you slid the front sensors up to the max position in the slot, and the rear to the top position(compress front sensor, extend rear).

I have about 1-1/2" between the fender lip and the top of the front tire, and the rear fender lip is about 3/4" from the top of the tires( the two wheel arch's havea different arc percentage)

I am very happy with my ride height...the black 94 has the coils... the red 97 LSC has air(engine is running in the red car, so bags are at "cruise" height...when off, it drops to about even with the black 94)

side94.jpg

at%20infineon.JPG

Last edited:
thanx for the info guys. what kind of shocks and strus are you guys using or do the come with the coil overs? if you wanted could you lower either the front or back even more with the coilovers?

mark8cha said:
thanx for the info guys. what kind of shocks and strus are you guys using or do the come with the coil overs? if you wanted could you lower either the front or back even more with the coilovers?

I bought the conversion from Tim @ Struts-r-us, I used Monroe Stratatrac in the rear, something else I noticed this morning the car is more level, weird.. Prior to this conversion the car looked a little lower in the front ( check yours out I'll bet it does to ) since the conversion the car looks absolutely level, I think it gives it a whole different look. Total cost was $ 753.00 & thats including a 4 wheel alignment !!!

BlackIceLSC said:
I think he meant "vented" bags...aka freeway/parked height.

My car sits at about the same height as a mark VIII would that has been sensor lowered. But not sensor lowered to the hilt by relocating the sensor mounts... just if you slid the front sensors up to the max position in the slot, and the rear to the top position(compress front sensor, extend rear).

I have about 1-1/2" between the fender lip and the top of the front tire, and the rear fender lip is about 3/4" from the top of the tires( the two wheel arch's havea different arc percentage)

I am very happy with my ride height...the black 94 has the coils... the red 97 LSC has air(engine is running in the red car, so bags are at "cruise" height...when off, it drops to about even with the black 94)

side94.jpg

at%20infineon.JPG

That does look good.....I just like the adjustability....for now, maybe IF I get anudder one I may go wif the coils.....I have to ride in one first though. :Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back