air strut removal question

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The CD manual doesn't mention disconnecting the upper control arm to remove the air strut.

However the in the how to articles on this site, its states to disconnect the UCA. I checked out some videos on youtube where they converted to coils and they disconnected the upper control arm too.

I would think not required, and wanted to check in with you to confirm.

If you have to be dealing with the front suspension, And the UCA has not been changed out recently, I would put in new ones just as a matter of Maintenance. They are relatively cheap and they ware out rather quickly. Mine were rattling REALLY badly at 67K miles when I bought my 97.

Thanks xtriggernam, its why i asked, mine have less than 10k miles on them and didn't want to disconnect if unnecessary.

Thanks slowmkviii, i tired removing the shock without disconnecting it and it came out easy - just had to compress or push up the shock till it cleared the LCA.

One tip I will provide for future readers of this post - make sure the car is level!

I used a jack and stand on the one side only and that lower shock bolt would come out no mater what I tried; twisting, pulling, using another bolt to hammer it out. It seemed so odd because when I replaced UCA's & LCA's, i read that others had a problem getting this bolt out and I had no issue at all. I had the car level to do both sides.

This time nothing would get it out - until I took the jack to the other side of the car and raised it so the car was level, then it came out like butter.

Members online

No members online now.
Back