Advantage of the CAI

FiveFlat

LVC Member
Reaction score
How much of an improvement does it really give? It is really worth $450?

FiveFlat said:
How much of an improvement does it really give? It is really worth $450?

Based on my experience, before / after 1/4-mi runs at a track, and accounting for temp, I estimated ~15HP increase. You can definately feel it in the SOTP. And the music at WOT.................. :dj:

2000 LS-V8, non sport, fully loaded (heavy) w/ moonroof, rear headrests, full size spare, Alpine premimum w/ sub in rear deck, 3.58 rear gear (DOB: 4/99!)

Before (bone stock, 30Kmi on factory paper air filter): 15.56 @ 91 (~81F)
After (+LLSOC CAI): 15.115 @ 93+ (~50F)

I'm hoping for 14s if/when I add a cat-back.

IMHO... gears or exhaust would be a better bang for you're buck (then just do a little fabbing and make you're own cai)

Well, I have the dyno proof that adding the CAI and the Magnaflow exhaust system adds 30 HP. I'd recommend the CAI for sure and couple it with a cat-back exhaust. I'm going to fab a 3" exhaust this winter and see it increases any HP and torque. I'm currently running the 2.25" Magnaflows now with the CAI.

Ken

I have an '04 and it looks a little different. I haven't taken the beauty cover off the engine to have a lookee underneath - but looks as if the one on your car (greyghost) will not fit on mine?

That is true. The 04 LS has a different intake manifold. The throttle body is located in the front, and is also 3-1/2in. rather than 3in. If you have the ability, or know someone who does, just fab your own.

As for the exhaust.. From the downpipe to the cats, the pipe is 2-1/2, after the cats it is reduced to 2-1/4. iv'e tried many different combinations. I started by leaving the factory resonators and running 2-1/4 strait back. Next i removed the resonators and did 2-1/2 cat back with super 40's (btw, the flowmasters sounded like crap on the LS, with a very loud resonance in the cabin around 40mph).
After these combinations i did the turbo...after blowing the turbo up and deciding to move its location, i fabbed a "temporary exhaust". I put a dual 2-1/2 to 3 collector and ran 3in back from the cats, single pipe, no mufflers. I surprisingly found this to be my favorite exhaust so far. It seems like it has the perfect amount of back pressure, i get great response with it. although it is rather loud, it has a great sound to it that you just cant get with duals on the LS (just a personal preference)
Within the next few weeks here, i am planning on putting together my new turbo system (ill try to post pics of the new parts soon.. i replaced the T4 .60 a/r compressor, .48 a/r turbine with a Super 70 trim .60 a/r T4...4inch inlet, 2-1/2 inch outlet... this will hopefully get rid or the low end lag i had). With the new set up i am planning on running single 3-1/2 back.

The CAI tube I have will fit the 2000-2002 LS's only. The 2003-2005 LS's have the MAF built into the tube and it's shorter. One huge advantage the 2003-2005 LS's have is that the throttle body is 3.5" and it's only 3" on pre-2003 LS's.

GrayGhost1 said:
The CAI tube I have will fit the 2000-2002 LS's only. The 2003-2005 LS's have the MAF built into the tube and it's shorter. One huge advantage the 2003-2005 LS's have is that the throttle body is 3.5" and it's only 3" on pre-2003 LS's.
What did Lincoln advertise the HP of pre-2003 LS's was?
My '04 is advertised as 280HP

The simplest way to think of this is that the engine is really a big air pump. The easier the air gets through it, the better (the basic theory behind forced air systems such as turbos/super chargers).
Things to remember are:
1. Virtually any OEM passenger vehicle WILL benefit from a less restrictive intake and exhaust, some more than others.
2. Doing an intake without the exhaust (or vice versa) makes sense, you need to attend to both.
3. Home-made CAI systems are usually less effective than store-bought.
4. Placing a less restrictive air filter on you engine is NOT a CAI. The filter MUST be relocated to a position where it can pick-up COLD AIR, hence the name.
5. You're dealing with airflow so remember that turbulance matters as much as size of the plumbing (intake and exhaust).

Here's the breakdown from 2000-2002 and 2003-2005:

2000-2002
V8
252 HP
261 ft-lbs torque

V6
210 HP
220 ft-lbs torque

2003-2005
V8
280 HP
286 ft-lbs torque

V6
232 HP
220 ft-lbs torque

Damn shame. Hot looking cars, they deserve more power and a stick option with EITHER engine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back