ABS problem

lazer

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a 89 LSC MK VII with a ABS problem,so I would like to know what year LSC's ABS master cylinders I can use when I go looking thru the bone yards. Thanks in advance for the help. ( I type veeery slow one finger so responce time is also slooooooooow, not being a d**k ).

Alan

I doubt that your brake problem is the master cylinder. I suggest that you get a code reader (~$25 at Wal-Mart) and pull the codes from the ABS computer pigtail in the trunk. If it is only the yellow ABS light and not the red BRAKE light then you may want to check the four wheel sensors. Also be sure to bleed the brakes at least once every two years, as water is a brake systems worst enemy. If you give some more information on the problem we can help you pinpoint the culprit; the ABS system on these cars is the last thing you want to start throwing money at, as it is one of the most expensive parts on the car to replace as a whole.

To answer your question, any 1986+ Mark VII will have the ABS system in it. The 84 and 85 models had a hydroboost system in them. However mid-1987 the accumulator design was switched so you should watch out for that.

Thanks Josh for the reply. The ABS light is the only one on,when the car is started up both brake lights come on for the check, then go out.When the car speed hit about 65-70 mph the ABS light only comes on, and will not go out till car is shut down. I also do not have ABS system working when both lights are out, did some hard stops and front brakes locked up, all done at different speeds 30-80 mph. I have replaced both rear sensors (new),ABS computer in trunk (junk yard), had brake job don about 2yrs ago.Do you think it could be the wheel sensor rings?. The reason I asked about the master cylinder was I saw one in a 86 at a junk yard that looked new, hell the whole engine looked new. Shops around here won't even look at a old car with a ABS problem,the dealer did not even want to take it in said it will run me to much, that was a first for me.Sorry for the long post.

Thanks Alan

Alan, if you find a brake system in good shape for cheap it is not a bad idea to grab it. If you don't need it, there is someone out there that does and that will pay dearly for the parts. Hell, I know someone that could use that accumulator! As a matter of fact, if you are so inclined, I might want to get that part off of you to get to him.

It sounds to me like one of the sensors or rings are bad, but I cannot say for certain. Only the codes will tell without simply throwing parts at the problem. $25 on a code scanner one time will save you $100's for many years to come. Get the scanner, read the manual, and pull the ABS codes. Then we can really help you pinpoint the issue.

Josh I will get the scanner (try) Wal-Mart ? this weekend, is there a brand name/model # I should ask for. I dont have the master cylinder, and not sure when I will be able to get up that way, we just had a good snow and more is expected this week.

Alan

No brand in particular for the scanner. They are available at Wal-Mart for the Ford EEC-IV systems for ~$25. I have also seen them at Advanced Auto and Auto Zone for ~$30. It is possible to gather the codes with a test wire (or even a paper clip) but the instuctions and information on the codes that the manual provideds are quite worth the small cost in my opinion, along with the ease of use of a true scanner.

Members online

No members online now.
Back