'98 Eldorado questions

Last of a Breed

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just signed up and have been looking at previous posts about Eldorados, but I'm going to ask this anyways to hopefully get a direct answer. I'm going to be looking at an '98 Eldorado ETC with 82k miles on it. It's been dealer maintained. Anyways, I've heard that '97 up Eldorados are pretty reliable. My questions are, I've heard that the N* has head gasket problems, as well as consumes oil. Is this still true for a '98? Also, any RPO codes I should look for for the Z rated tire package and what not? I'm going to be picking this up as a daily driver (gonna be getting rid of a '97 Grand Prix GT) so I don't want to spend the money to just end up it being a money pit. (I know it's used, so it's always a risk). Any input would be appreciated.

these caddys are famous for oil leaks so make sure the 1 you are looking at is dry and hasnt been detailed I bought an 99 eldo and it cost me 2grand to fix the leak I did not see it because the engine was steam cleaned but 500 miles later oil was on the ground good luck

If its a Z open the door up and itll say right on the tire size sticker either Z or H rated tires, If your a stock Z itll say there. As for Head Gaskets they can go on any northstar without proper maintence and if it had the sh*t beat outta it. Keep up with the coolant levels, replace with dexcool only and dont beat on it to hell and you should be fine. As for burin oil all N*s do that it usually verys between 1 to 2 quarts a month depending on how much and how hard you drive it.

taylor414ce2003 said:
these caddys are famous for oil leaks so make sure the 1 you are looking at is dry and hasnt been detailed I bought an 99 eldo and it cost me 2grand to fix the leak I did not see it because the engine was steam cleaned but 500 miles later oil was on the ground good luck

Damn, this is the thing I'm worried about. Obviously buying used there are always risks, but something of this magnitude worries me.

probaly could have gone on for years as a small leak but me be anal I had it fixed it was an oil manifold-the engine and trans where removed to fix it on the brite side I paid $8950 for the car with 75k miles on it and got a warranty on line for about 2grand so now if anything else breaks I will make out ok!!! so if you do buy a used car check out some of these warranty co.

taylor414ce2003 said:
probaly could have gone on for years as a small leak but me be anal I had it fixed it was an oil manifold-the engine and trans where removed to fix it on the brite side I paid $8950 for the car with 75k miles on it and got a warranty on line for about 2grand so now if anything else breaks I will make out ok!!! so if you do buy a used car check out some of these warranty co.

I heard aftermarket warranties can be sometimes difficult to get them to pay for things. Is this true?

guess that depends on the co-I am using warrentech they seem ok but it is tough to talk to a live person!!-also you have to read the fine print of these co!!!! make sure they pay the repair shop and not you .I was on an $80 a month no interest instalment plan but when I put in for my claim they made me pay the repair shop and subtracted it from the balance of warranty-guess other wise I could have had repair made and then cancel warranty .all and all I would recomend them-the plan is 25month/25k miles covers most major stuff and some elec like alt .power windows switches,computor etc- gives you peace of mind with a used car!!!

The Eldo is a great car with great power and smooth ride. Don't let the horror stories about the N* scare you away from a wonderful driving experience. All cars have problems, continue to do your research and find out how to avoid a lemon.

N* and oil

The N* had some modifications around 98 and 99 to make the oil leaks at the crankcase halves less prone to leakage. I have a 2000 ETC with the QDC code for "V" rated tires and no speed limiter. It used oil from the day it was new, but I contacted an engineer in the Northstar plant and he explained the problem to me.

The N*'s crankcase holds only 7.5 quarts of oil. The proper oil level is around the middle of the cross hatched area on the dip stick. The cross hatched area is the safe area. Many people, myself (and my dealership included) are filling the N* incorrectly with 8 quarts. That extra 1/2 quart gets aeriated by the crankshaft and the PCV valve vacumes the aeriated oil away.

Therefore, you'll notice that an oil change with 8 quarts added, the N* will use the extra 1/2 quart of oil within about 500 to 700 miles and then, if not additional oil is added, will go another 2000 to 3000 miles prior to bing about 1quart low.

In summary, use only 7.5 quarts after an oil change.

Last of breed did you purchase the Eldo? Chime in and let us know if you like it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back