'98 Continental - Radio Has No Power

jbelcourt

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just got this car, 81,000 original miles, everything is in great shape. Only issue is radio doesn't work, there's no power at all. I checked all three fuses associated with the radio (#4, #29 & #37) and all of the fuses are good (ohm tested). I switched all three of those fuses anyways for new ones just to be safe and no power still. I then checked all three of those fuses for power. With the key on, #4 and #37 both have power but #29 does NOT. I checked the light blue/pink wire at the radio and there's no power. I checked the amp and everything is plugged in.

I'm completely stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it might be possible that the head unit is bad. try checking the voltage when they key is in ACC or engine running (RUN).

fuse #4 will only be hot when in RUN or ACC (blk/pnk wire)
fuse #29 will only be hot when in START
fuse #37 is always hot

light blue/pnk is for the CAN-BUS, I don't think you will be able to see a constant +12v there..

Thanks for the insight. I'll check #29 when running tonight, I only checked it with ACC power I believe.

I figured the head unit was bad but I wasn't sure why I had no power at pink/light blue at the radio. I went by the wiring diagram I found online which is why I thought that wire should have power.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1309.html

that site is wrong, colors are below;

fused ign - red/blk ( fuse 29), blk/pnk (fuse 4)
always hot - lt grn/ppl (fuse 37)

that site is wrong, colors are below;

fused ign - red/blk ( fuse 29), blk/pnk (fuse 4)
always hot - lt grn/ppl (fuse 37)

Awesome, I really appreciate your help. Might have some free time to look it over today and see if I can figure it out.

I'll report back when I figure anything out.

Members online

Back