97 LSC test drive/still looking

Bangster

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Test drove a 97 LSC, 71k miles. Wicked ride, I should have replaced my aging 89 Cougar a few years ago.

Well, thanks to sites like this, I was armed with a little information, and I am gonna have to pass this one up. They wanted 7k for it. I think it is too abused and neglected.

It has the yellow side view mirror, the lasgna weatherstripping around the rear window, broken blend door, info center showing door ajar when it wasn't, one headlight was full of condesation, tranny fluid smelled real bad.

Then the scary stuff. It probably had a wheel bearing going out, any speed above 30 you could feel it in the passenger floorboard and it sound horrible. That was the nail in the coffin. It could mask so many problems that I wouldn't want to touch it. It also needed an idler pulley and a belt, that could be masking lots of stuff going on in the engine.

I am sure it has the same cartidge type wheel bearings my 89 Cougar and 2000 Grand Marquis has, but I would like to hear and drive it before I buy it with that fixed, and the the idler pulley.

It didn't seem to have excessive valve train noise, it is noisier than my 2000 Grand Marquis with the SOHC 4.6, but it has twice the mechanicals and 90 more ponies, so it should be!

Anyways, I am hooked, and I will find me one. My Cougar should hold on long enough that I can take my time and find one.

I really want a 98 LSC, white with grey interior, and moon roof (which this had all, and the 10 disc changer). I don't want to have to settle on a later model Thunderchicken or Cougar with the 4.6 SOHC, not after the short test drive of the Mark VIII. I also don't want another Grand Marquis. I love the one I have, and the wife taking it over as a people mover is fine. RWD, V8, not an SUV. Narrows down the field alot. I also want another 2 door.

Take your time... There ar plenty out there... Look in FL and AZ.
Plenty of Ole Dudes who bought them and they have very low milage...

$7K with all that going on??? That must have been a Stealership or just some used car lot who was trying to Bang the Bangster... LOL

Look for a 98 LSC...

Well, after not really being to thrilled with the 97, too many problems, I found a 95 Willow green with saddle interior. I haven't test drove it, but my father has.

Not an LSC, 38k miles on it.

8,999 at a dealer.

A little more than I had planned on spending on a car older than I hoped on getting, but I am sure once I go and see if and drive it, I will be sold. Now to sell the wife on it...heh

That 2500 over bluebook, ouch.

Dude... that is way too much for a '95...
Just not worth it... Like I said... Take your time.
I'd be leary of that 38K miles...

Well, it is in a retirement community, my dad drove it and said it is very very nice. scuffs on the bumper covers and other garage queen style marks.

Carfax shows 1 owner, last record of mileage was 15,000 in 1998 when it was emission tested. When I bought my 2000 Grand Marquis, they have a 1997 Grand Marquis with 18,000 miles (this was in 2001). I wanted the newer body style and some other updates the 2000 had, but in retrospect a 3 year older car with less miles might have made more sense. I keep vehicles an average of 12 years, and the 89 cougar with 155k miles is the lowest I have had and given up. I put 300+ on an 81 Fairmont, 220k on a 79 Zephyr, I put 22k a year on my Grand Marquis.

I am out the door to go a test drive it. It is in a place easier to get it out on the interstate to check for driveline vibs, but my father said he had it up to speed and it was like a dream. I don't know what to expect, I haven't ridden in a Mark Viii for 5 years, and the 97 I drove was so horrible I didn't feel comfortable, so I went like 4 blocks and took it back.

Bangster said:
I really want a 98 LSC, white with grey interior, and moon roof (which this had all, and the 10 disc changer).
I'll sell you mine if Jamler sells me his.
icon10.gif

MonsterMark said:
icon10.gif

Alrighty, sounds like a plan!

The 95 was okay. I didn't know saddle was such a bright version of tan. Each of those 38k miles must have started out with running into something. It had bumper cover scuffs, green paint (from an oxygen tank I am sure), and some poorly executed bodywork. It was obvious because the car had a yellowish hue to it at certain angles, except for that corner. Looking closer the weatherstripping around the rear window had a tape line and paint. Looking closer still I could see the cheesegrater marks, they missed a good job bu one skim coat of bondo. Tough to match this color of paint too. It wasn't a garage queen, the plastic chrome trim had seperated and was discolored, much like my 89 Cougar, and the paint was tons shades lighter than the paint in the trunk (under the hood the paint wasn't finished as the outside, some sort of 3 step paint or something?).

PASS. Still looking. Guess I gotta tune up the ol 3.8 in the Cougar to last a little longer.

Sticker price was 11,999 :eek2: If it gets down to it, I wouldn't offer much over bluebook. I could immerse myself in the car for a few hours with really bright lights and get used to the color I guess.

so many people live in a total fantasy world re: how much their cars are worth, not to mention how much people are willing to pay for a car on the market.

Hey, I read your post about wanting to buy a Mark VIII. I am currently trying to sell my 1994 Mark VIII before I leave for college this summer. It is black with a black rag top with a sunroof(sealed), it has around 76K miles and is excellent mechanical condition and still looks great. I am the second owner and have had the car for about two years. I have made some modifications including 4 driving/fog lights hidden behind the grill and have replaced the head lights with ultra white bulbs to fix the dim headlight problem of 93-96 mark VIII's. I also made a minor air intake mod removing the air resonator. The only repairs I have had to do since owning the car was replacing the spark plugs, spark wires, and the belt tention pulley. I am asking around $5500 without the sound system or $6000 with the Clarion head unit, Crossfire amp and two 12" JL Audio subs. I can send you pictures if you're interested, Please e-mail or call me.

David
Kappertdill@hotmail.com

MonsterMark said:
icon10.gif

For $12K Bryan........ You Got IT!!!

Never abused...
Garaged...
All the goodies already done!
67K Miles on it...

Members online

No members online now.
Back