97 Conti Starting Issues

napoleon1072

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so my 97 conti is having some problems. A month and a half ago the car wouldn't start in the morning, for my dad so he could swap cars in the driveway. I wake up a few hours later to go to class and it cranks right up I take it and don't have any problems for a week. My dad takes it to run errands and no problems, makes his last stop at the grocery store, comes up cranks it up and it wont turn over and start. Calls me for a lift I go down there try cranking it a few times nothing the first three times then it starts up and drives great all the way home. Go out to start it a few hours later and it wont start only this time it wont start for 3 days so I call to get it towed to a shop, gets to shop wont start, next morning they go check it before pushing it into the shop and it starts. They said they don't have anywhere to really look since it wont do anything for them kept turning it on and off with no probs, so I tell them to change the fuel filter hearing that it can cause such issues. They change it and I drive it home. Two weeks later of having driven this thing everywhere I come out of the gym and it wont start so I call my dad and he comes to help and wouldn't you know it, soon as he shows up it starts and I drive off in it.... I've checked fuses, changed relays, gotten gas from a few diff gas stations, changed fuel filter.... what could it be? This things driving my crazy:p:p:p

So you are saying it cranks and doesnt start or it does not crank?? An easy fix, that isn't too expensive would be to change the crank sensor out, get one from the ford dealer. one bolt and a plug, its easy.

It cranks but wont turn over to start
still clear as mud, DOES IT TURN OVER, DOES IT GO rah rah rah rah rah , or nothing at all?? when you turn the key on does the CEL come on, If so does it go out when cranking? If it stays on while cranking, than it is crank sensor.

If the car sometimes starts and sometimes wont could it be the fuel regulator?

97 lincoln continental, sometimes starts and sometimes wont.

Sounds like the exact symptoms mine had. Bad fuel pressure regulator. I'm told they can leak gas, leading to a flooding condition making it hard to start. Leave it sit long enough and it will fire up. I'm also told the leaking can get worse over time, which is exactly what mine did.

Ha! Perhaps I spoke too soon. Ran perfect for about a month, but last night after work I could not get it started. Cranks and turns over, but just will not start. Had to have my wife pick me up. When I went to look at it this AM, I decided to just try it and it fired right up, and has several time since today. Not sure what I should even look at, but it makes me nervous since it would be really bad if I had my kids with me in sub-zero weather and couldn't get it started when my wife is at work, since she can't leave.

Weird, put battery on tender and it turned over fine, but somehow the voltage must have been messing with the computer, because when I finally got frustrated and took it to the shop all they did was put a new battery in then it has started fine. I was thinking fuel filter since I had not replaced that but they said it was not plugged. Had a new one put in anyway, though. I guess if you have tried everything else a battery can also be the culprit.

Weird, put battery on tender and it turned over fine, but somehow the voltage must have been messing with the computer, because when I finally got frustrated and took it to the shop all they did was put a new battery in then it has started fine. I was thinking fuel filter since I had not replaced that but they said it was not plugged. Had a new one put in anyway, though. I guess if you have tried everything else a battery can also be the culprit.

yeah, low voltage can wreak havoc with the electronic sensors. my mark viii gets super angry if its cold out with a low battery. throw the charger on and its much better.

yeah, low voltage can wreak havoc with the electronic sensors. my mark viii gets super angry if its cold out with a low battery. throw the charger on and its much better.

same with my LS. I'm on the e-way everyday I work. When it gets cold and I'm off for 3 or 4 days straight then try to start it the needles go crazy letting me know to put it back on the E-way or charge it. Spring/summer/fall no problems

97 Lincoln cranks but won't start

My 97 Lincoln won't start. Checked the fuel switch in trunk,ok. Pulled spark plug, no spark. After reading some of the posts, tend to believe the problem may be the crank position sensor. Can anyone tell me where they are located on the car.
Thanks

I have a '97 Continental as well. I get spark, I get fuel, but it STILL doesn't start. It was running great until I left it outside in the cold and fried the starter trying to get it started. I just replaced the starter, plugs, plug wires, plugs, and a coil pack. This is so bad.

I have a '97 Continental as well. I get spark, I get fuel, but it STILL doesn't start. It was running great until I left it outside in the cold and fried the starter trying to get it started. I just replaced the starter, plugs, plug wires, plugs, and a coil pack. This is so bad.

Doublecheck your battery. Odd voltage from low or bad battery can affect the computer and give trouble starting even though it turns over fine and has correct fuel pressure. My 97 is very sensitive to the battery.

Members online

No members online now.
Back