'96 Towncar won't start

De-marko

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My parents have '96 towncar and today my Dad calls me to ask what could be the problem on the car not starting. Fuel pump is working and the car ran perfectly last night. They jump into it today and nothing. The car cranks strong. I thought maybe Crank position sensor. Any other ideas? Am I on the right track?:confused:

Crank position sensor and/or it's wiring is very possible.

Has he been noticing hard starts in the days prior?

You can hear the fuel pump whirring with ignition cycle?

Check PCM and ignition related fuses?

Try LIGHTLY holding the gas pedal (don't floor it, that only cuts off the fuel) while cranking. If it now starts up the IAC is bad.

Crazy!!

Well, My parents have their car towed to a mechanic of theirs. The tow bill was $195 bucks, because the car broke down in another town about 60 miles away. They get it off of the tow truck and wouldn't you know it, it fires right up.:slam

The only code that was present was that the passenger side catalytic converter was out of range. They left it at the mechanics anyway to see if he can find anything. Who knows........

And no, it has fired up perfectly everytime.

I had an '84 towncar with a bad ignition switch that had the same problem. It should be high on your list of candidates.

Check the wiring to the crank sensor. I know its screwy on my '93 and very well could be your issue.

Members online

No members online now.
Back