96 has front end noise...struts?

blkmonday

LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a 96 sts with 96k on it the front end rattles when taken over bumps...im thinking struts. would the info light say "suspension problem" or give some sort of suspension warning if the struts are worn? also i found a aftermarket set for $229 online from suncoreindustries.com, says they are an exact replacement with no modifications needed. i was thinking of doing this job myself...doesnt look too hard after reading the instructions they have online. (im a half way decent mechanic...but ive never done struts...im a classic car guy) should i consider doing this myself or am i crazy for thinking of trying it? any info would be great. also found the arnott inc struts at $300...(see the ad over to the right) anyone have any experience with this and do you think its my problem?

could be many things. i'd check sway bar bushings and links first. does it make any noise when you turn your wheels? does it make noise on slow bumps, or on fast bumps like railway tracks? or all bumps? check underneath for anything loose first. try bouncing the car by hand and see if you can locate the rattle. maybe something easier and cheaper to fix. i've replaced alot of sway bar links that have created rattles.could also be upper strut mounts gone. they usually make noise when turning also.

I have had the same problem once before. I believe it may be the strut mounts. There are rubber bushings inside of the mount that dry out and crack eventually falling out and causing the strut to shake and rattle when you hit a bump or a nice size pot hole. Replacement costs about $220 each parts and labor.

Noise travels from front to rear... be sure what you "think " you hear.
I thought I had a strut problem too...
The noise may be worn subframe busings particularly the outer rear two.
Had mine replaced and noise is gone. I had the same sounds as you describe'.
Also make sure your exhaust system hangers are all connected /not broken... The exhaust has a way of making the same types of noise.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back