95 Conti... odd no start problem... Help!

kjohnson

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I've got a strange issue going on with my 95 continental. Several weeks ago it would not start. The starter sounded fine, the engine turned fine, but it was like no spark or no fuel because it never actually tried or sounded like it would start.
The car was in a resturant parking lot, and I returned to it several times for two days, but it failed each time. Finally one time it started, and ran great! No previous problems, no issues after... no computer codes were generated.
Since then it does the same thing sparatically, no predictability to it at all. Car hot or cold, just used or not touched for a day. It can run great for a week or so, then suddenly it will not start again. Each time I let it sit, and try again when I get a chance and eventually it does start, might be 10 minutes later, 4 hours later, or days... This weekend, it failed again, then started 8 hours later (my third return trip to the car), drove home fine, turned it off and it would not start again.
Next morning it started fine, and has run fine ever since... many starts and stops since the last failure. Obviously it not trust worthy anymore, but in our house one car is not enough, so we have to keep using it, and just deal with it's failures when they occur.
When we checked the computer for any clue and did not fine one, we also check over the rest of the car in general, definatelty getting spark and fuel, but at this test, the car was fine, started 20 times during our testing. Runs better then ever! Even seems the MPG is better recently! Odd huh?
We have had an 11 day run around here of over 100 degree days, not sure if that plays a role... and help anyone can give would be appreciated!! Thanks.

old 95 that sometimes won't start, no codes

My old '95 did this about half dozen times 5 years ago. The problem was it would work sometimes and not work other times, no rhyme or reason. When it did it the last time, Chris came over to the house and towed the car into the shop without trying to start it, then put it on the machine. I am lucky, I have Clyde and his son Chris who have saved me a bundle on repairs to my old '95. Turns out the problem was a faulty crankshaft position sensor. Cost me $70 at Clydes. Would have been over a $1000 at the Lincoln dealer because they would have had no idea what the problem was (no codes) and would have started replacing parts. Been 5 years with no problems......
dewman95

Yep,

CPS. Next to the air conditioning compressor. you have to loosen the compressor to pull it slightly out of the way. Of course, that engine is turned sideways in there so I don't know what else is in the way.

Maybe somebody can get you an all-data report to replace the crank position sensor.
I would check the wiring first. Sometimes a loose wire going into the sensor wil be the culprit.

Also check plugs. If the gap is worn, that can also lead to a flood condition when starting in really cold weather.

Mine doing the same thing

I have change yesterday the crank sensor... Bad news it did not correct the problem this morning I tried again had my wife turn the key and I checked the spark there is spark!

The only other thing I am starting to believe would be the problem is faulty fuel pump.

At least now I got the shop manual, it helps

Did you ever get it figured out?

My 96 is doing the same thing. Has fuel pressure, but no spark I don't think. Won't start with ether either. Ran perfect, parked it and no start for 3 days. I guess I will try a crank sensor. I have put one on a Mark VIII so this one should be close to the same, just sideways.

Members online

No members online now.
Back