94 Conti Cluster tune up DCL / Oil problems

ColorMeConti

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I see many members have DCL / Oil problems. I have tried the cluster tune up and did not have any luck with it. At the end of the tune up page it gives a couple of options.One of them is to replace the DCL. What is it and what does it look like? Is it in the cluster? or is it the large connector witch looks like it only controls the lights. Help. :steering

Colormeconti..

Saginaw.. as in MI?

I am in Mesick (1/2 between cadillac and traverse city).

if the 'normal' dcl tune don't work, I have a much more indepth procedure I can do to them. Requires soldering and a very steady hand, as your working with computer electronics. I had to do the same thing to my 91's cluster, and since have had no problems with it.

shoot me an email @ todd49668@yahoo.com if your interested. a not too long trip out my way can save you a lot of time/money.

yea, next one I do I will take pics and such.

I don't really recommend this procedure to be performed by just anyone, as it requires some pretty carefull use of a soldering iron. I have seen many people 'claim' they can solder electronics, only to see them whip out a 150w gun, with a tip thats 3-4 times the proper size for the job, and ruin delicate electronics.

This kinda work is what I have done for longer than I can remember, and am well versed in doing it.

if I really wanted to, I could probably even reverse engineer the damn I/P.. but its not worth it to me. I have looked it over pretty good, and am pretty familiar with its operation, which is enough for me.

Thanks MI,

Here is the whole story.The cluster burnd up and I got a used one from a salvage yard. I had no problems untill I put the used one in.The main board is the one that is bad but rest of them seem ok. Should I try to make one Cluster out of two? Use the original cluster and the used board? :slam

the larger one in the center of the cluster is where I do most of the work. I also check the other ones too.

if the main one (actually has the computer on it) is bad in the old cluster, then it probably wont fix your problem. Most of the electrical signals from the various parts of the car connect to that one, and thats where most of the problems are that are not fixable with a normal DCL tuneup.

Thanks again Mi.

Thanks for the input. I will keep you updated with anyprogress I make. :waving:

Success

Well I got it working and here is how I did it. First I did the cluster tune up and got no where. After pulling it out again I took a real close look at the contacts on the large connector and didnt like the way they looked after cleaning,so I took a small piece 800 grit sand paper and lighty sanded each contact. I also did the same to the plastic copper ribbon. Put the dash back in for a test drive only a slight improvement.Pulled it out again. This time I put three layers of 3/4 masking tape under the plastic robbon contacts. this made the connection nice and snug but not so tight so it would be a problem. So I put back in again.and did another test drive. This took care of dash lights blicking but still had a slight problem with DCL/Oil Presure. Pulled it out again. I figured that I was not thinking at all about the other two connectors. I bent each tiny prong very slighty outward so they would make more pressure to the inside of the connector. I suggest if anybody tries this to keep in mind these things may break or crack at the bottom so only move them about 1/32 of a inch. The connector has small guiding dimples so you dont want to move the prongs to much or the connector will not connect.
It worked for me hope it will work for someone else.

Good going ColormeConti. I hope it keeps working for you.

the solution you used would be a temporary fix in my opinion. the root of the problem is actually bad solders on the main board (large center one). some of the bad solders are on the 2 connectors that connect to it. by bending the pins slightly, your moving it slightly to the left/right/up/down/ect enough to make the poor solders contact. over time it will probably re-appear. This only applies to the DCL problems of course. What you did to the large connector/flexible circuit plastic crap it plugs into should be fine. Those connections are primarily illumination and power to cluster.

Most of the data thats displayed actually connects with the 2 small plugs on the main circuit board.

The DCL error (Data Communications Link error) is actually the dash not being computer not talking to the other computers in vehicle, or not talking to the LCD controllers in the cluster (the other smaller boards)

I "fixed" my old conti by taking the speaker out that tells you something is wrong with the car... I guess with my current one, I'll do the real work and fix it for good!

At least on mine, without the chime, I probably wouldn't be able to tell something needed attention... the gauge changes are just too subtle..

ever notice how much the oil symbol and water symbol look alike on a quick glance?

Members online

No members online now.
Back