93 conti - no oil

Ron Brownie

LVC Member
Reaction score
Last fall my conti puked out all of the engine oil. It had a leak previously, but just let it all go during a 3 mile trip. Indications are that the oil is coming out above the oil filter, running down the outside of the filter. Caught it before any damage was done, but it's been sitting, waiting for the spring so I can fix it. Any idea what i should be looking for/at? Service manual says the oil pump is up there somwhere, but it's not very helpful.

Oil pump is above the oil filter...I think not. It's NORMALLY in the oil pan (before you exotic/special car people, stfu. This is a normal car :D)

I'd look for a valve cover if it's comming from above the oil filter - and even see if that oil filter gasket (The black O-Ring on the filter) ruptured. For it to puke that much at once, i'd really blame the oil filter.

Seriously checked out the oil filter - definitely nothing wrong with it. I also feel the oil pump should be in the pan, but who knows with these new-fangled inventions. definitely not coming from the top of the engine - not valve covers, and not the oil pan. What kind of gadget does the oil filter screw onto? Could that be cracked? And how does one remove it?

well now, the oil pressure sender is right above the oil filter area.

the pump actually is actually in the front cover (*I think*, I dont have my manual in front of me right now). Only the pickup tube drops to the pan.

Also, if I recall correctly, if you follow a line straight thru the distrubutor (thru its centerline) you will end up in the oil pump, as the pump is driven by the distributor.

Good call! Maybe I damaged the sender when I was changing the water pump - pretty tight quarters in there. When the last of the ice & snow is gone so I can get under the car, that's the first place I'll look. (If I can see anything in there - damn, all of the accessories seem to be on that end of the engine.)

yea, all the accy's are at that end of the engine.

but remember, the 3.8 was originally designed for RWD use, and ford modified the block slightly to allow FWD use.

if you get lucky, you can look just right and see the sending unit. if I remember correctly, there may even be 'T' fitting with 2 senders on it. but not positive about that.

one thing to look at on the oil filter stuff, is to make sure it wasn't 'double gasketed', that will leak for certain!

OK - here's the thing. Looks like the oil leak is definitely related to the oil pressure sender(s). Unfortunately it's behind the power steering pump - any suggestions as to how I can get the pulley off the power steering pump so I can take it out???

you need a pulley remover

40749.gif

mine looks like this

you can go borrow one from autozone if you don't have one/want to buy one.

you may (most likely will) need to remove the air compressor and the bracket its on for clearance to remove the pulley.(2 nuts from underneath hold the bracket to the inner fender.

Thanks Man: Sounds Like Your Car Might Be Slightly Different - My Air Compressor Has Three Mounting Bolts Accesible From The Top. Also, I'm In Canada - No Autozone Stores. Guess I'll Try To Source One Up Here. I Thought It Looked Like The Pulley Is Threaded On, Because The Pump Shaft Has An Opening For A Large Allen Wrench...

the ps pump pulley is not threaded, its a straight press fit. dont try to pull it with anything other than the proper tool (the puller previously mentioned is one), because the pulley isnt very strong, and will bend/break.

I too thought originally that it was threaded on, but the allen wrench hole is there for who knows what reason.

The puller will grab the grove down on the hub, and stick a rod down into the hole in the shaft, and pull it off that way. reinstalling is pretty simple, a threaded rod threads into the shaft, and you press it back on with a nut & washer or similar arrangement.

I always used the 3 bolts that hold the compressor to the bracket to remove it (just move it off to one side, no need to remove the air lines). you may have to bend the bracket a little for clearance to use the puller, but its soft metal, and is easy to work with.

Michigan Teddy Bear: you really seem to be knowledgeable and extremely helpfull. Almost looks like you spend a lot of your time helping people with problems. Thanks a million for the help!

Oh, by the way - can you provide me with a manufacturer's name and/or part number for the puller? There seem to be a zillion pullers on the market.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back