'92 LSC/SE advice

WickedLSC

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Been reading through your site for a couple of weeks now and there appears to be some pretty knowledgeable guys here. I've been trying to educate myself with everything I can find out about these LSC's and have narrowed it down to the '88 to '92 range. I'm willing to go up to $5000 for the right car (black/black/low miles) BUT I'm not above having one that is another color and needs a little work if it's an awesome deal.

That being said, I have the opportunity to buy a '92 medium red SE with 128,000 on it. I've only seen a few pics of it and the guy is supposed to send a few more showing the cosmetic imperfections. Mechanically he said it was near perfect and the engine bay looks pretty clean. It has a small scratch on the right rear quarter panel behind the wheel and it follows through to the end of the bumper. He SAYS that it's not a dented scrath and looks as though it can be buffed out. There are a couple of dings in the drivers door too that can't be seen in the pictures I've looked at. One of the door locks doesn't work and the speedo doesn't work but the odometer does. The SRS light is on too and he said there is a small "L" shaped tear in the drivers seat that has been repaired with stitching.

For $2800 it sounds good and should be easy and relatively cheap to repair. The biggest reason I'm considering it is the price and it being a SE. I plan on putting 18x9 and 18x10.5 Cobra R wheels with 245/45's and 275/40s to maitain the correct tire height and after driving one recently with 17's and those widths I figure it should work fine. I'll also be going the mass air route eventually and a few mods but not at the expense of driveability or reliability so an intake, cam, and headers will probably be it.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and recently just got finished with alot of fabrication and custom work on my Harley so I don't think these cars would be very hard to maintain as long as you get them in decent shape to start with and try to take care of them.

So.............what do you guys think? Good deal or run away?

Thanks, Keith

If you are looking for a triple black low mileage SE, try autotrader.com. There are always 1 or 2 low mileage M7's on there for a decent price. I also like the blk on blk color combo. Here is a shot of my 90 LSC SE;

I've seen yours on one of the websites. Extremely nice and clean. I'd like to have all black simply because my H-D and Ram are black but a good deal is just that. I'd rather have a nice one in another color than a ratted out black one that I have to dump a ton of cash into just to make it presentable, reliable, or safe.

Thanks Katz. I just talked to a guy about one in West Virginia that has one similar to yours for about $3000. Found it on trader after you suggested looking. He said a guy is supposed to come get it tomorrow but hasn't produced any money yet. I'll be driving to WV tomorrow afternoon if it falls through. I'll call this one if it falls through and see if they can e-mail some pics. But..............what do you think of the deal with the red SE I was asking about. Does that seem like a good deal or am I missing something? One more thing he said was that the drivers seat recliner wasn't working right.

WickedLSC said:
This is the one I'm talking about. if the link doesn't do directly to it you can click on the inventory link and it's about the 4th one down.

http://www.loganvilleauto.com/inventory.htm

Its a nice looking ride, but do you want that color interior and is the 120K+ mileage ok with you? I would offer them 2500 cash total incl taxes, handling, dealer prep and all the other dollar vacuum scams that used car lots use. Otherwise, if you have some patience, sit tight and a nice one will fall in your lap. I bought mine two years ago with 102K on it in Los Angeles for 600 dollars. The tranny was slipping badly and the clearcoat was totally shot, so the guy couldnt drive it, and it looked like crap. He didnt need the money and just wanted to get the car the heck out of his driveway. Unfortunately, it cost me 400 bucks to have the car shipped to Florida from CA, but I wanted a completely rust free car and that one fit the bill. By the way, last year I had the money, but couldnt figure out a way to buy an 86 GTC that was for sale in CA for $3500 (auto trader). The guy had all the paperwork, but my wife just doesnt understand cars. I am still kicking myself in the behind for losing that car. If you find a decent priced authentic GTC, buy it.

I don't guess I've been "around" long enough to know how often a good deal for one of these comes along and I'd hate to let one slip away. As far as the interior, yes that color is fine. I can see potential. The mileage is nothing IF the car has been taken care of. That engine is Fords bread and butter motor and damn near bullet proof. Plus I figure since it's primarily a luxury car it's not been through the same hell it would have experienced in a Mustang. I had a '89 LX 5 speed and beat that car to death. The engine wouldn't break but the car got t-boned and totaled. The only problem I ever had with that drivetrain was a "glass" third gear. So...........I just know that the SE's are rarer and this is the first opportunity I've personally seen for one at this price and I've been online day and night for over a week now. The upside is that every week that passes adds to the amount I'm willing and able to pay!

WickedLSC said:
I don't guess I've been "around" long enough to know how often a good deal for one of these comes along and I'd hate to let one slip away. As far as the interior, yes that color is fine. I can see potential. The mileage is nothing IF the car has been taken care of. That engine is Fords bread and butter motor and damn near bullet proof. Plus I figure since it's primarily a luxury car it's not been through the same hell it would have experienced in a Mustang. I had a '89 LX 5 speed and beat that car to death. The engine wouldn't break but the car got t-boned and totaled. The only problem I ever had with that drivetrain was a "glass" third gear. So...........I just know that the SE's are rarer and this is the first opportunity I've personally seen for one at this price and I've been online day and night for over a week now. The upside is that every week that passes adds to the amount I'm willing and able to pay!

Good luck, and by the way, there is another website out here that has a lot of M7 guys on it. It is www.fordvschevy.com check it out when you get a chance. Most of those guys are like me and swap btwn both websites.
Here is a picture of the car I had before getting hooked on the M7:

69.jpg

Thanks for your input. NICE 'stang. I'm supposed to get more pics of the red one thursday and I'll keep an eye out for a nice black one too. Hopefully I'll get lucky and find a deal like you did. Here's my baby. This is actually an old pic but the new ones are too big to upload here. I've powder coated the forward controls, tank panel, fender struts, bars/grips, etc. etc. black since these were took. the only things shiny now are the engine and front wheel. Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to hold out for a nice black one...........

DSCF0031.JPG

WickedLSC said:
Thanks for your input. NICE 'stang. I'm supposed to get more pics of the red one thursday and I'll keep an eye out for a nice black one too. Hopefully I'll get lucky and find a deal like you did. Here's my baby. This is actually an old pic but the new ones are too big to upload here. I've powder coated the forward controls, tank panel, fender struts, bars/grips, etc. etc. black since these were took. the only things shiny now are the engine and front wheel. Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to hold out for a nice black one...........
Nice motorcycle.

Did you drive it before you bought it or did you take the seller's word for it's condition and bought it based on pictures and your long term knowledge of the machine?

Cars are the same way.

You'll know what to do when you see the one you want.

OldSchool1 said:
Nice motorcycle.

Did you drive it before you bought it or did you take the seller's word for it's condition and bought it based on pictures and your long term knowledge of the machine?

Cars are the same way.

You'll know what to do when you see the one you want.

Actually I bought the bike brand new and bone stock in '98 and did 99% of the work myself. I'm working on a Fototime link now documenting the process. I couldn't stand riding a "cookie cutter" bike so I changed it. I've had these cars in the back of my mind ever since I saw one many moons ago in the DuPont Registry. It was black, slammed, supercharged and had some chrome Ronal R9's on it. I think it was a Kenne Bell car. Anyway the seed was planted and now that they can be bought for pennies (relatively speaking) I'm finally gonna do it. When I'm interrested in something I jump head first into it and learn everything I can get my hands on. I've even combed through your site (thanks, by the way, for the in depth info), SVPU, Badasslincoln, etc. I have several searches bookmarked for car sales and check them daily. I travel the country designing cable tv systems and I'm never home as it is so it's not even a though to have to fly somewhere to pick up the right car. I don't like the thought of buying something I haven't even touched but it's all I've got unless I find one within 100 miles.

Members online

No members online now.
Back