92 Continental signature/New owner

MichiganTeddyBear said:
when 'check dcl' shows up, usually it means the instrument cluster has lost communication with one of the other computers. There is a DCL tuneup procedure avail (check here in the tech section, or check over at LoL's tech section.. I think there is one on both.. not positive about here). It works for many people with DCL problems, but not all (mine took more drastic matters to fix, but it was an I/P problem). Does your water temp gauge go to 2 bars on top and 2 bars on bottom, with a corresponding loss of instantaneous MPG readings (trip odometer may also quit)?? That is the classic check dcl errors. Thats a loss of communication with the EEC.

Too bad your in a long way from me. I have I/P removal, dcl tuneup, I/P reinstall's down to about 2 hours. thats for the 'extensive' tune up I do that involves resoldering multiple bad connections on the I/P.

I already did the DCL tune-up. It was quit easy, except getting the plugs back in in the back of the gauge. I just mentioned this warning coming on as the engine is dieing because it is a constant factor here. I assume it is not the actual cause of my problems. The car dies, that's my problem. Normally when this happens I'm on the road, so I'm not able to survey the instruments too well to answer your question about the water temp gauge. I know that when I pulled the codes from the car yesterday, I had a "C" code of 529, and 542. Not sure right now which is which, but one says a fuel pump secondary circuit fault, (I just replaced the fuel pump and sender assy) and the other one says "DCL or EEC fault". Now I know that the dealer replaced the PCM, I'll assume that the EEC and PCM are the same thing, in July of this year for the previous owner. Any thoughts?? ANy idea how to do the "pin point" testing on these items? Any books that you can offer that show me "HOW" to do this testing?

Thanks in advance:

Will

Problem solved, finally!

OK, my problems have all been resolved. :D

I replaced the relay module ($220) from the stealership. It is mounted on the radiator support, on the drivers side. All issues that I mentioned before have been resolved. Yea!
:p :D :) :cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back