'91 Mark VII governed @ 100mph?

Sick88Tbird

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I own an '88 T-bird. I've had my car over 145mph, but since switching to the '91 Mark VII electronics, it will not go past approximately 100mph....this is unacceptable being as I plan on gearing the car and my trap speeds should be in excess of 100mph with my planned mods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Don

Sick88Tbird said:
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I own an '88 T-bird. I've had my car over 145mph, but since switching to the '91 Mark VII electronics, it will not go past approximately 100mph....this is unacceptable being as I plan on gearing the car and my trap speeds should be in excess of 100mph with my planned mods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Don
Please define "switching to the '91 Mark VII electronics". There were all kinds of goodies happening to our rides in 90, 91 and 92.

I should have been more clear, I have a '91 Mark VII ECU and TFI module/distributor. It actually does hit dead on 116mph(according to speedometer) but that's actually closer to 100mph because I have 3.08 gears right now and my car was originally equipped with 2.73's.

The factory electronics in the digital dash wouldn't allow it to read past 85mph, this was something done on all t-birds/cougars from '85-'88. But the guys over at foxtbirdcougarforums directed me to a technical article on "cool cats" in which you can modify the speedo module...all it required was a wire be soldered across 1 circuit. I can't see that being the problem though.

I need to find a way around this, I do frequent highway driving at night and if you're not doing at least 95mph, you're getting run over.

Thanks again,
Don

Sick88Tbird said:
I need to find a way around this, I do frequent highway driving at night and if you're not doing at least 95mph, you're getting run over.

Thanks again,
Don
Sicklerville?
Yeah ... you use a quarter tank of gas just to get a gallon of milk.

To the best of my knowledge, our Mark VII EEC IVs limit you to 116. I don't know if the MAF changes that as my newest car is 1990 and does not have one.

OldSchool1 said:
Sicklerville?
Yeah ... you use a quarter tank of gas just to get a gallon of milk.

To the best of my knowledge, our Mark VII EEC IVs limit you to 116. I don't know if the MAF changes that as my newest car is 1990 and does not have one.

Actually it's a 10 minute walk to one of two convenience stores/gas stations.

That being said, I've found that I need to disconnect pin #3 at the ECM, supposedly it reads the vehicle speed directly off of the speed sensor...which is strange because I've had this thing sailin at around 145mph. Since I rigged the speedo module to read past 85 though, it magically developed a governor. I don't know if it'll work or not but I guess I'll find out one way or the other.

Sick88Tbird said:
Actually it's a 10 minute walk to one of two convenience stores/gas stations.

That being said, I've found that I need to disconnect pin #3 at the ECM, supposedly it reads the vehicle speed directly off of the speed sensor...which is strange because I've had this thing sailin at around 145mph. Since I rigged the speedo module to read past 85 though, it magically developed a governor. I don't know if it'll work or not but I guess I'll find out one way or the other.
Could you also tell me more about this pin#3 item that you mentioned? Was it in a tech article? What's your source? Will the Eagles win this year? :)

:L My 91 is speed density. when I had it dynoed at Carlisle this year the man told me it clocked at 115mph in 3rd gear. I was running 3:27 stock gears at the time. I've buried my speedo past 120mph quite a few times. I'm not the original owner, so I don't know if it had a limiter that was disabled. Also I have seen my tach at 6000rpm buried once during a brainfart rage.(lucky no damage to high mile motor)

And the Eagles WILL have to contend with the STEELERS :Beer again this year!!

My source is foxtbirdcougarforums.com , they may have sourced it from a tech article over at coolcats.com(i think that's it).

Yes, the Eagles will go all the way and the Steelers will not be much of a problem :F

Try Getting A Performance Computer Chip. It Should Disable The Top Speed Limit. It Also Idled Better. I Know I've Gone Well Above The 120 Mark. I Got One (jetchip 18hp, 25ft-lb Torque Increase)for My '89 Thru Summitracing.

JPJP said:
Try Getting A Performance Computer Chip. It Should Disable The Top Speed Limit. It Also Idled Better. I Know I've Gone Well Above The 120 Mark. I Got One (jetchip 18hp, 25ft-lb Torque Increase)for My '89 Thru Summitracing.
Did it look like this? :) :) :)

Members online

Back