Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
bbkintakesmall.jpg
Price: $569.99*
Brand: BBK
Part Number: npBBK5001
* Does Not Include T.B..
Available JAN/FEB 2005!!!​

When the BBK engineers set-out to develop an all-new performance intake for the popular 5.0L Mustang, what they found was that all the other manifolds on the market shared many of the same design weaknesses as the factory unit. All manifolds tested delivered an un-balanced flow to each cylinder due to sharp radiuses of the front front runners and all were limited by the small factory fuel rails. As the other brands all came from companies known for their years of carbureted experience - the results were not a surprise.

Utilizing over fifteen years of EFI only experience - BBK engineers developed this revolutionary manifold which is about to re-write the chapter or Mustang performance. With a lower manifold that features an open runner design for cooler intake air mixture, identical runner shapes for equal distribution, 75mm throttle body opening, and high torque twin plenums for maximum street performance. Topped with beautiful anodized aluminum high flow fuel rails and a durable titanium powdercoat finish - the new BBK SSI-Series Manifold sends the competition back to the drawing board.

• The only 5.0L manifold to offer identical open runner design for better balance, cooler induction mixture, and maximum performance

• Kit includes upper and lower manifolds, all necessary hardware, and gaskets

• Beautiful high-flow fuel rail kit delivers maximum performance and works with all performance distributors

• Removeable baffle plate reduces weight and allows for easy install of nitrous oxide

• This kit includes BBK high-flow fuel rails

• Cowl indiction hood required to clear intake on 94-95 mustangs.

• Built-in EGR mount, no need to purchase EGR spacer​

Whats Your Thoughts!?

I think it looks awesome. I read back in some mag. That it really doesn't make much more power then the Cobra manifold. But yet this design is horsepower making. Beacause the air doesn't need to do a 180 degree in direction change. . . So, whats your thoughts. . .

5.0 Mustang Super Fords

This is a simple story. The stock and BBK Single-Stage intakes are equal to approximately 3,800 rpm, where the stock manifold noses over but the BBK continues arcing upward to 5,100 rpm and thus produces a big power bonus before dropping off.

When power curves diverge at higher rpm as we see here, there typically is a meaningful horsepower increase when comparing the respective power peaks-in this case, 29 hp-yet notably larger power gains when comparing the two curves at even higher rpm. In this example, the BBK manifold is a stupendous 41 hp ahead of the stocker when comparing the overrun area north of the SSI's 5,100 rpm power peak. This indicates the engine will pull harder and feel distinctly sportier as it revs-always a fun thing, especially when no torque was lost down low.

There was no missing this effect on the test car, even when simply free-revving the engine like a happy teenager at a stoplight. With the stock intake, this resulted in a sonic performance and engine acceleration associated with a stock 5.0 Mustang with noisy mufflers, while substituting the BBK intake to this otherwise hot-rodded combination gave a distinctly more throaty exhaust, much faster engine acceleration, and a generally unmistakable gain in energy.

All testing was done on Brothers Performance's Dynojet chassis dyno, on the same day. The baseline was obtained using 14 degrees of ignition timing, which was optimum for that combination according to BBK. The final power figures we're showing for the BBK intake are after tuning the fuel pressure and sparking timing to optimum values. The fuel pressure ran best in the same place it did with the stock manifold-38 psi. A couple more degrees of ignition timing helped with the BBK intake, putting it at 16 degrees of advance. Running the timing at 14 degrees-in other words, the exact same tune as the baseline engine-resulted in the same power curve shown here, but with two less horsepower at the peak. One anomaly in our test, if you want to call it that, was the stock 5.0 H.O. intake manifold on a '93 Mustang Cobra. Cobras came with a cast version of the freer-breathing GT-40 intake, but for our test, a standard GT intake was pressed into duty. This is clearly breathing through a straw with the Performer RPM heads and the free-flowing exhaust system, but it is indicative of what a typical, modern, bolt-on 5.0 engine-GT or early Cobra-would breathe like using the stock intake. It's therefore a valid comparison of what the usual 5.0 would gain with the BBK SSI intake over a stock manifold.

Finally, in the interest of full disclosure, the stock intake was slightly port-matched between the upper and lower sections, but we doubt if it amounted to a hill of beans, so we're ignoring it. If anything, it should have helped the stock intake, but it's highly doubtful it had any effect. 5.0

Dyno Results:

Stock 5.0 H.O. Intake__BBK Single-Stage Intake
Stock Throttle Body____BBK 75mm Throttle Body

RPM___TORQUE___POWER___TORQUE___POWER
1,600___229______70________222_______68
1,850___238______84________243_______85
2,100___243______97________246_______98
2,350___246______110_______248_______111
2,600___253______125_______253_______125
2,850___271______147_______266_______144
3,100___277______164_______279_______165
3,350___286______183_______285_______182
3,600___289______198_______288_______198
3,850___285______209_______292_______214
4,100___280______219_______296_______231
4,350___273______226_______294_______243
4,600___262______230_______291_______255
4,850___253______233_______283_______262
5,100___238______231_______273_______265
5,350___215______219_______255_______260

Does it come with your choice of injectors? I would hate to put this fancy F'er on and put 1990 FORD 19lbs in it.

I would like to see cylinder flow data.....it appears the split deck (utalized in CARB mfg, as if EFI has anything to do with it) would lean 1 and 4 hard due to the 90 degree rurn the air has to make. The right bank seems okay, but 1-4 cylinders look like they would have a hard time pulling the air in through 2 (two) 90 degree turns. THe numbers do show proof, but an Edelbrock system like this is also available.

SilverFox said:
Does it come with your choice of injectors? I would hate to put this fancy F'er on and put 1990 FORD 19lbs in it.

I would like to see cylinder flow data.....it appears the split deck (utalized in CARB mfg, as if EFI has anything to do with it) would lean 1 and 4 hard due to the 90 degree rurn the air has to make. The right bank seems okay, but 1-4 cylinders look like they would have a hard time pulling the air in through 2 (two) 90 degree turns. THe numbers do show proof, but an Edelbrock system like this is also available.

Yeah, but once people get there hands on it. How long do you think it will stay with a single throttle body. You know they are going to dual it and put one on each side. While also adding dual SC. . .

Sifrino3 said:
Yeah, but once people get there hands on it. How long do you think it will stay with a single throttle body. You know they are going to dual it and put one on each side. While also adding dual SC. . .

1, 2, 3 & 4 are on the passenger side, not driver's side. Dual TBs wouldn't help the problem that SilverFox brought up.

Sifrino3 said:
How would it not help. One TB for 1234 and one for 5678. . .
I was not aware that you could dual the TB......does it work with just one TB? Is there a plug in the other side? Inresting....I like it.

No, you would have to custom it! But shouldn't be hard!

OS1: I love my cobra manifold. BUT if I would do dual s/c. I would buy that manifold in a second! If I wonly had the money. (Dream)

Sifrino3 said:
No, you would have to custom it! But shouldn't be hard!

OS1: I love my cobra manifold. BUT if I would do dual s/c. I would buy that manifold in a second! If I wonly had the money. (Dream)
When the Baby goes to college Bro, you and the Missus get to go hog wild! Oh waitaminut ... that won't be for another 17 years. You'll be like late 30s or early 40s. Wow. And then, people will be calling you Pops and you'll own like eight Mark VIIs and you'll like nick name them
ReallyOldSchool1
ReallyOldSchool2
ReallyOldSchool3
etc ...

Mine will be (on word names)

1) Rustybutfastw/leakinbags
2) PartscarInevergotridof
3) GooddealthoughtIcouldntpassupw/leakymoonroofandnooverdrivenottomentionthecrazyDTEdrivingmeintoarealmofpissedoffIhaveneverbeenbefore

Not again with the throttle bodies! Disney ran 11's with the stock throttle body. He outran a Z06 Corvette with the stock throttle body. You do not need dual 61mm throttle bodies.

CaptainZilog said:
Not again with the throttle bodies! Disney ran 11's with the stock throttle body. He outran a Z06 Corvette with the stock throttle body. You do not need dual 61mm throttle bodies.

Whos talking a Tb's other then saying that its able to do duals. . . (Custom, but none the less)

Hey, did you see my new throttle body. Damn its 90mm. I must of gained 50 horsepower! I can stick my whole hand in there!

:Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back