79 Deville questions on making it run better..

westman995

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so i got this 79 deville recently, ran when i got it but not good at all. Ive done a few things to it, sounds MUCH better, however it bogs down if i try to step on it. It will do that when its both sitting there and when driven.

The car has the 425 motor and an 800 edelbrock carb on it. When i got it, the vacuum advance was hooked up to the intake manifold, i put it on the ported vacuum on the carb, also tried it on the full time and it seemed to be better on full time but i heard that it should be on the ported one.

So i have some questions about where stuff goes. There is this metal tube/line that comes up from behind the motor and then it has a rubber hose on it, i am guessing it goes to the transmission, who knows what that is and where should it be hooked up to?

What should i do with the egr, i think it just has one little rubber hose coming off of it, should i hook it up, and if so, where? Right now i have it plugged.

There are a couple fittings on the front of the motor, they both have two rubber hoses coming if it if i recall, im not sure what those are? One on each side of the water pump i believe? I dono what those are or where they go.

I can try to get pics sometime if it would be of any help, but if anyone knows about those motors they should know what im talking about.

So i have some questions about where stuff goes. There is this metal tube/line that comes up from behind the motor and then it has a rubber hose on it, i am guessing it goes to the transmission, who knows what that is and where should it be hooked up to?.

This line needs to go to the intake port on the rear of the manifold, this goes to the transmission module and make the car shift smoothly.

There are a couple fittings on the front of the motor, they both have two rubber hoses coming if it if i recall, im not sure what those are? One on each side of the water pump i believe? I dono what those are or where they go.
These may work with your dist vac advance and a.i.r. pump. On my car, I disconnected all those vacuum lines and plugged my dist. line in the carb where the front port was connected to. If I recall correctly, it was a port on the bottom of the carb- up front towards passenger side. One way to check would be to find which port doesn't start to suck until you rev it up.

Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.
Back