6x8,6x9 door speakers?

HARDDRlVER

New LVC Member
Reaction score
LS 2002 V8, w/Audiophile 6CD indash system
Hello, I'm new to this forum and hope to learn alot
Has anyone thought of increasing the hole in the doors to accept a 6x9? Given the better response from a larger speaker, and that there many higher quality speakers to pick from in the 6x9 range, just wondering if anyone has taken on the task, and moreover, any install pics.
I'm also wondering what the "exact" dimension from the door plate to the glass is in the hole. Several posts on this site have mentioned various sizes, up to 3". But I'm curious as well as I'm sure alot of people are, as to the precise depth. On top of that, I pose this. Metra makes a 5X7/6x8 to 6x9 adaptor to enable a larger element to be installed, or vice~verse, eliminating the need to cut the door. The plastic adaptor is about 3/4" in depth. This would allow an even deeper speaker, so then, what is the distance from the outer skin of the door shell to the inner skin of the door panel? I wouldn't want a speaker protruding so far as to rub the panel of course. But given this distance, from the inner skin of the panel to the glass itself would be the dimension I would need before shopping for 6x9's. Other than that, I am also wondering if the quality of sound is decreased using these spacer/adaptors? Certainly the rim of the speaker isn't sitting as deep into the door as normal, but then a 6x9 would have better quality than a 6x8...say, the Infinity KAPPA 693.7I in all four doors.
Thanks for reading, and...
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't really see why you would want to put 6x9's in the doors. I'd rather get a good set of 5.25 or 6.5 comps.

:I I got the kicker ss 5.25 comp in the rear and front door. Why put 6X9 and have to go through all of the cutting? just put a good 6.5 or 5.25 in the door with a sub in the rear.

pdzcallday said:
:I I got the kicker ss 5.25 comp in the rear and front door. Why put 6X9 and have to go through all of the cutting? just put a good 6.5 or 5.25 in the door with a sub in the rear.

Let me answer by posing this question. Why do we want the largest woofer we can afford? Because we want more bass. The larger the diaphram the more square inches, more air is moving, hence deeper the bass. The same goes for a small speaker. If you look at a 6x9, well, it's already a 6", and more. And it dwarfs a 5.25. Standing next to a well built 6x9, a 5.25 or a 6" isn't much more than a mid. True there are some great 5.25's and 6"s out there, but I don't think companies like Infinity or MBQuart make the 6x8's and 6x9's for no reason. And once again, installing the Metra 5x7/6x8 adaptor between the 6x9 and the door, may not require any cutting. No?

Yeah, you will get more bass from it. However, you will lose overall SQ. You are better off getting a 5.25 or 6.5 plus a sub. Or I'd much rather have just 6.5's over just 6x9's if you don't want to put a sub in.

You really aren't going to get good sounding bass from a 2-way speaker.

Does you sysem have the rear cutouts in the back for the 6X9. I have a 2000 w/ no upgraded system and it has 6X9 holes in the rear trunk. If you have them holes why not make use of them and just add another 2 speakers to your system.

pdzcallday said:
Does you sysem have the rear cutouts in the back for the 6X9. I have a 2000 w/ no upgraded system and it has 6X9 holes in the rear trunk. If you have them holes why not make use of them and just add another 2 speakers to your system.

Sorry I guess I should've mentioned that I do in fact have the rear 6x9's as subs. I would be going with a pair of SPLW 10's and do away with the 6x8 subs which are in there now.
http://www.splusa.net/splw.html
The infinity 3 way speakers appear to be one of the best on the market.
http://www.infinityspeaker.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA693.7I'&Ser=KAP&Cat=MEL
I have a pair of Pioneer 3.5 speakers for the console http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4087_35549,00.html
I intend to run the pioneer 3.5 off the H.U.
Run all four Infinity's in the doors which by the way are 2ohm 3way 6x9's.
and I will fabricate a custom box for the 2 10's starting from the deck down, not a box that just sits in my trunk. This way I will keep my trunk space.
Until I get a better amp everything (except the console speakes) will run off a Kicker ix 405D amp.
http://www.carreview.com/cat/car-audio/amplifiers/kicker/PRD_129463_1806crx.aspx
I also have about 500sq.ft of Dynamat and wondering where best to put it.
Thanks you guys for all your views/input. It keeps my narrow-mindedness in check.

Members online

Back