$50 catalytic converter...

John Hubertz

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop a note about how to repair converters....

NOBODY will touch them in automotive, so I run mine over to the nearest small airport - airplane mechanics are used to welding stainless and aluminum etc etc and for $25 - $50 I've never had a cat I couldn't get fixed. Then my muff guy just reinstalls it for me.

Not to mention the incredible satisfaction of beating the system that usually beats us.

Sorry - I thought I replied to this, usually the cat is damaged and should be gutted, you can look in and tell. If the hole is at either end where the inlet or outlet are you can often save the catalyst - frequently holes are caused by partial clogs and burn-throughs so punching the cat is not a bad idea.

Funny how a $50 bill seems to make an incredibly good filter on those emission sniffers isn't it?

I know this is an old post but how did you get the CMS (catalyst monitor system) sensors to not pick up on the emissions? CMS sensors are the number 2 set after the cat and should have lit up the check engine light. When this happens it should go to limp mode and a noticable decrease in power. Just curious. I built cats for Ford for 18 years and worked with some pretty smart (and dumb) engineers. This is not a good condition to run your car. Some say the fuel mixture goes to something like 7:1, a super rich burn and the mileage goes to hell. Cats are expensive and a pain to change. Just FYI Bosal is the OEM on the V8's. Good luck.

Members online

Back