20's and going down

gijoe

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This is for the people who have 20's on there ls and maybe there is a few that have lowered there cars also. If so can you tell me if there were any differnces in rubbing or any other problems, since my car already has 20's I want to lower it and put the wings west kit on it. One step at a time, first the cheap one lowering the car. And the reason is the space from the tire to the upper lip of the wheel well. Let me know, thanks in advance

You're gonna get close...real close. Check for clearance right now on your ride. Average drop is 1" so minus that and then account for suspension travel. Not only that...the car is gonna ride like crap. You've already taken away alot by going with 20's and a smaller series tire. You'll have to have a stiffer suspension to keep from rubbing. Man, hitting a pebble is gonna feel like railroad tracks...

Freefaller, by reading your post I can't tell whether you've been in a LS on 20's, better yet a lowered LS on 20's. All I can say is, you can't knock it if you haven't tried it.

gijoe, when I was riding around stock and wanted springs and eventually 20's, I read the forums and everyone said the exact same thing as freefaller. sh!t, I've probably have read his posts in the past about it. After installing SpringTech(see sig) springs I noticed it handled very well around the corners at high speeds. All I could think of what good does this do me? Nothing. I'm not a corner carver so could care less about the twisties. I did it all for looks. It was actually a big difference...~1.5in.
beforeafter02.jpg

Now on to the 20's. Yea blah blah blah it rides like crap lowered and you will rub everywhere. I thought I'd give it a shot and ride around for a few days and see how they react. The rim is 20x8.5 and wrapped in 245/35/20s. At first I noticed the wheel is very easy to steer at very low speeds. And for all the people saying it rides like crap...I did notice a difference in cornering(high speeds) but it's a sacrifice I took. Basically, I didn't care. And for the bumps, people just analyze it too much. Who knows, maybe I'm just used to it now. It's not what people make it out to be *cough*freefaller*cough* As for rubbing, if you hit a large hump where the suspension unloads at high speeds then it will rub the inner fender weather guard on the front ONLY. I look at it all the time and it rubs in an area about 4in long and 2in wide. What I did with the fenders was rolled them slightly, just to make sure the body doesn't hit the tire. I kept the weather guard as is. Also, people say the rear rubs all the time for them and I have yet to see any rubbing at all. The rear held up well even before I rolled the fender.

maybe this will give you some insight on this subject. seems to me like a lot of rumors float around. sorry for long post

lowered on 20's
imag0065.jpg

Dead President said:
Freefaller, by reading your post I can't tell whether you've been in a LS on 20's, better yet a lowered LS on 20's. All I can say is, you can't knock it if you haven't tried it.

gijoe, when I was riding around stock and wanted springs and eventually 20's, I read the forums and everyone said the exact same thing as freefaller. sh!t, I've probably have read his posts in the past about it. After installing SpringTech(see sig) springs I noticed it handled very well around the corners at high speeds. All I could think of what good does this do me? Nothing. I'm not a corner carver so could care less about the twisties. I did it all for looks. It was actually a big difference...~1.5in.
beforeafter02.jpg

Now on to the 20's. Yea blah blah blah it rides like crap lowered and you will rub everywhere. I thought I'd give it a shot and ride around for a few days and see how they react. The rim is 20x8.5 and wrapped in 245/35/20s. At first I noticed the wheel is very easy to steer at very low speeds. And for all the people saying it rides like crap...I did notice a difference in cornering(high speeds) but it's a sacrifice I took. Basically, I didn't care. And for the bumps, people just analyze it too much. Who knows, maybe I'm just used to it now. It's not what people make it out to be *cough*freefaller*cough* As for rubbing, if you hit a large hump where the suspension unloads at high speeds then it will rub the inner fender weather guard on the front ONLY. I look at it all the time and it rubs in an area about 4in long and 2in wide. What I did with the fenders was rolled them slightly, just to make sure the body doesn't hit the tire. I kept the weather guard as is. Also, people say the rear rubs all the time for them and I have yet to see any rubbing at all. The rear held up well even before I rolled the fender.

maybe this will give you some insight on this subject. seems to me like a lot of rumors float around. sorry for long post

lowered on 20's
imag0065.jpg
Tight!!!

I wanna drop mine but the only thing i am afraid of is wearin down the inner tires. tires for the 20s r expensive!! n e problems on inner tire wear? did u get a camber kit? boy am i am jealous!!!
How long has it been lowered on 20s? Any tips on keepin the wheel wear nomal?

Dead President said:
That looks real good! Have you had the car loaded with people yet to see if it rubs? Also, look at getting stiffer shocks if it begins to rub too much. After putting on lowered springs the car will continue to settle and it may get lower. At least this is what is instructed from Eibach on their springs. Mine did settle more but it was only 1/4" to 1/2".

Hey Ken, I am wanting to drop mine atleast 1.5", but Eibach doesn't offer anything for the LS over 1-1.1" really... I'm curious though, will it continue to settle that dramatically? as in, get the 1-1.1" drop then just hope it settles in more? Or is it to unpredictable.

KC_Valentine said:
Hey Ken, I am wanting to drop mine atleast 1.5", but Eibach doesn't offer anything for the LS over 1-1.1" really... I'm curious though, will it continue to settle that dramatically? as in, get the 1-1.1" drop then just hope it settles in more? Or is it to unpredictable.
When I had mine lowered I measured it almost immediately after I got home. I measured all four corners from the ground through the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender. Mine wasn't exactly 1" in the front or 1.1" in the back from my initial measurements. I don't recall the exact measurement but I do remember checking it about 2 weeks later and the front settled about 1/4" and the rear settle about 1/2". The measurements that Eibach gives on their springs is right. It will settle to their specs. Eibach offers the Sport-Kit which drops lower than the Pro-Kit. However, I don't show that they offer the sport kit for the LS. You may have to go with Springtech or Intrax for something lower than the Eibach Pro-Kit

mikedeezy, the car has been lowered on 20s for over a month now(~2500miles) and I just changed the oil yesterday so I got a chance to look at the tires very close, especially the inner side. I did notice a slight, very slight almost un-noticeable to a tire novice, a difference on the inside. It will probably wear down first compared to the outside over time. What I'm doing to get the most out of these tires is rotating them at each oil change. A buddy of mine works at a Discount tire so he just gets me in and out w/out writing up a ticket, which I'm doing today. So, every 5K miles they will be rotated.

Ken, I had the springs on for about 2 months before I bought the 20s, so somewhere around 3 months the springs have been on. I'm guessing thats plenty of time to settle. And yes, I have had the car loaded once, me (215) 2 friends of mine (225, 200) it did rub a bit more but like I said on the inner weather guard. I even looked at the rear and there was no rubbing at all.

When I had mine lowered I measured it almost immediately after I got home. I measured all four corners from the ground through the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender. Mine wasn't exactly 1" in the front or 1.1" in the back from my initial measurements. I don't recall the exact measurement but I do remember checking it about 2 weeks later and the front settled about 1/4" and the rear settle about 1/2". The measurements that Eibach gives on their springs is right. It will settle to their specs. Eibach offers the Sport-Kit which drops lower than the Pro-Kit. However, I don't show that they offer the sport kit for the LS. You may have to go with Springtech or Intrax for something lower than the Eibach Pro-Kit

Yea I was aware of the sport-kit, but found out they don't offer it for the LS.. I really would prefer to go with Eibach, with it being a garunteed brand that is well recognized and respected... I don't want anything sub-par quality on my car, I kinda decided that I won't cut any corners with the cheap stuff when it comes to my baby :p.

How good are springtech and intrax? Do many people here have much experience with them?

Experience as in on the track? I'm almost positive quikls has them. Or are you asking about handling them during an install? I installed them myself if that's what you're asking. No problems and I highly recommend them along with suspension max. see sig

I ment with quality, I know I will sacrafice a bit of ride smoothness, but I am asking if any problems have come up or if you noticed any issues? Do they offer the "Million mile garuntee" etc. like Eibach? I am just trying to see if they are a really good quality product.

I would not have a problem putting either the Springtechs or Intrax springs on my car if I wanted to go lower than the Eibach Pro-Kit.

Ok, that's what I was wondering, how you guys trusted it. Ideally I want 1.5 to 1.75" drop because I have no plans of putting any other rims on my car. And I don't see 1-1.1" as enough of a drop for me. Thanks for the input fellas

Hey thanks for the info Dead Prez that was just the info I needed. I love my 20's but it needs to loose the space in the wheel well. I love how your car sits and looks, and I'm not a going to carve up any roads either, my is more for looks, but I still need the drive ablility. Thanks Again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back