2005 LS parasitic power draw

PPeters1

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Shut the car down and let go to sleep. Set up amp meter and started pulling fuses. Started at about 700mA draw but went to almost nothing progressively as I pulled the fuses for SSP1-SSP4. Everything else appeared good. Not sure where to go from here. Also, I'm not very strong on electronics. Any help would be appreciated. Next step would be to bring to dealership but thats expensive.

700ma is pretty much normal consumption. You may have a problem with the battery not a parasitic draw. 700ma is basically ~8w idle consumption nothing to worry about.

700ma is pretty much normal consumption. ...
Not a chance.
After the car goes to sleep (about 30 minutes after the last thing changes), consumption is about 20 to 30 mA max. Any car is considered to have a problem if it goes over 50mA. At 700mA, the battery will be dead in three days or less. 30mA gives you over a month.

I dont think 700ma is that much, but for this car it could be. I never measured mine tho, but I simply think he searches for something that is not there. Also i am wondering how he put the car to sleep and then setup the measurement.

Last edited:
I dont think 700ma is that much, but for this car it could be. I never measured mine tho, but I simply think he searches for something that is not there. Also i am wondering how he put the car to sleep and then setup the measurement.
700 mA is too big and unexceptionable for any car! How many cars do you know that consider it to be acceptable to have a dead battery after sitting for three or four days? I don't know of any that bad. Don't take my word for it, Google it.

Turn the key off. Leave the doors and/or trunk that you need to open for access, open. Now wait 30 minutes. If you don't touch any buttons or open or close any doors/hood/trunk, then the car will be sleeping. You have to have put your meter between the battery and the car before you started.

Before the car sleeps, you well get between 500 mA and a few amps of current for up to 20 or 30 minutes.

What's plugged in ??? Phone, GPS , Radar Detector.................unplug everything for several days and see if this works. I left a plug in my lighter not attached to phone and my IT tech says it draws power even with nothing attached to it

If you don't touch any buttons or open or close any doors/hood/trunk, then the car will be sleeping.
If you have LED tail lights or interior lights that glow when they're supposed to be off, they'll turn off fully when the car is asleep. I don't remember if the interior/trunk light timer is actually sleep rather than a separate timer. Frustratingly, pulling certain fuses may wake the car up and cause a new 30 minute delay in the diagnosis

Members online

No members online now.
Back